Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2014 12:19:42 AM EDT

Hey ladies ! A quick hand here. My little sister has a birthday coming up. She's married with a little girl. Sister: 39 My niece, Violet is 3 and her husband is 49. She's sweet and nice but niave. I wanted to get her some subscriptions to magazines she could glean some info from. She doesn't take advice well but she reads a lot. I got her FoodTV magazine and Good Housekeeping.

The problem is that when I go to market all the rags in the checkout lanes are celebrity bullshit, TMZ crap.......

Set me straight here... Please suggest some periodicals that will help better her situation in life.

Oh, they are poor and dumb..... Except for Violet. She is already smarter than both of them put together !

Many thanks in advance ! ! !

-Mike

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Cosmo...

Edited because I'm stupid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cosmo...
View Quote
No........ Just no.

Are you a woman ? I might as well had posted in GD

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]

She's not a shooter. She doesn't like guns. She could be if I worked on her a bit. Guns are in our family blood.

She voted for Obama.....  Or she would have if she knew how to vote. I'm not sure she knows how to sharpen a pencil.....

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Popular Mechanics is always a good read.  And generally pro-gun.  Popular Science is a liberal rag now.  Consumer Reports supported Obamacare, so I dropped them despite loving their auto issue.  Their CEO was hired from the Brady Foundation, I think.

Air & Space magazine is great.  National Geographic has great maps, albeit I think they're liberal global warming supporters.

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/ usually has one pro-gun article per issue, and has all sorts of outdoorsy tips.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Smithsonian

At the very least it has wonderful pictures.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Dumbass
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
is your sister a country or city girl?

If she's more rural check out some of the offerings from Reiman Publications http://enthusiastbrands.rda.com/default.asp

my wife likes:
Taste of Home

Country Woman

Farm & Ranch Living
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh crap,

My sincere apologies ladies, I truly did not realize that I was in the Woman's Shooter forum.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#10]
What about a homesteader type magazine?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, Mr Man here. Google " magazines for moms". There's a bunch of them. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

OP, Mr Man here. Google " magazines for moms". There's a bunch of them. Good luck!
View Quote

Google is always first......

And I did this....... And I was confused. There's tons of links for magazines but most of them are junk and many are for the touchy-feely type of mom.

If I wanted that I would have searched a Jerry Garcia message board with the same question and got her magazines that teach your kids not to use tooth picks because they kill trees to make them and if you get bullied, curl up into a ball and cry.

I'm on ARF because I like ARF ! And I like the men and women that post here. So please ladies of ARF, all 6 of you..... Help me out !

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Honestly, you're not giving us much to work with. What are her interests and hobbies?

And the magazine is a dying medium. I haven't read them in years. I read articles online.

eta: google "zoku" and buy her one or more of their products.

Eta2: I miss Omni.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Garden and Gun Magazine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like Discover and Backpacker, so you could probably get her those.

View Quote

These are good too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top