Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2014 10:44:30 AM EDT
Good Morning!

I've landed a freelance writing gig, and I've been assigned to write a story tentatively titled, "Why I decided To Get My Concealed Carry Permit." I'm looking for input from women primarily in the Dallas/Fort Worth area about their reasons for choosing to carry concealed, their experiences with the process and any other issues that they've seen with training, gun purchasing, finding appropriate gear, etc. I'm going to be as comprehensive as I can be inside of 1,600 words. I'll go longer if I can get enough good interviews.

This article is going to be written from a woman's point of view (According to guidance my lovely wife, known on Arfcom as SpaceCheetah, has generously consented to provide), and is intended to encourage more women to explore the idea of taking responsibility for their own security and that of their loved ones.

I'm looking for any input or experience, from neophyte gun owners to experienced instructors. In the interest of PERSEC, I can use psuedonyms with a disclaimer for attribution purposes.

I will also need to shoot or source photos to go along with the finished piece. What I'm looking for is a few representative shots of women, preferably those who are directly quoted in the story, handling or carrying firearms in a range setting, gun shop or out and about. I'm relatively new to the area, so if anyone knows of any good ranges that will allow camera setups and shooting from the holster, I would really appreciate it.

I'm open to any input on the story, and welcome the opportunity to discuss this topic along the way with anyone who wishes to share their thoughts.

I'm involved with this project because I think it's important for "gun people" to be the primary sources of info on gun-related issues, instead of leaving the writing of articles to people who have likely never picked up a weapon in their lives, and carry deep-seated, irrational fears as a result of their inexperience and ignorance. You've all seen the results of such ignorance and fear in the drivel that oozes forth from our media "experts."

Anyway, this is for real, and I hope I can find some shooters who will be willing to tell their stories to someone who will cast them in the very best light, as I fully intend to do.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
A little about me:

I spent seven years as an Army Photojournalist and worked as the Public Affairs Section Sergeant at Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center, where I took part in every aspect of news production. Photography, videography, news writing, editing and media relations took up most of my day, and I also instructed Unit Public Affairs Representatives on the basics of photojournalism. I've been a lifelong gun nut, shooter and sometime gunsmith, and I'm a Life Member of the NRA.

I believe that we should be the ones telling our story to the public, not the hysterical creatures that are coming out of Journalism schools these days. I think this story is a good opportunity to tell our side of the story in a way that will be accessible to the general public, and I hope it will go a long way toward helping people understand that we are not the unstable, paranoid reactionaries presented by our mainstream media.

BLUF: What I'm working on ain't a hit piece for Vanity Fair.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to PM me any questions i would be happy to help but Im not from Texas. We do have a few ladies from that area who might help you when thye see this thread. I've had the honor of training with a couple of them so I know they know their stuff. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm willing to answer some questions or whatever. And yes, I am in the DFW area.

I have a few action shots of me shooting, too. Some while in a professional training session and others at the range or friends backyard.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Not in TX, but feel free to PM me with any questions. I also have a pic or two.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you very much for the replies, everyone!

I'm putting together a battery of questions right now that should cover just about everything I want to include in the article, but please feel free to add as much commentary as you like, especially if you see something I might have overlooked or forgotten.

It's slow going because my regular type job takes up most of my time, but I will get this written up soon, and if you don't mind, I'd like for everyone to take a look at it before I send it off to the editor. The more eyes you have checking your work, the better it will be in the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top