Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2014 3:15:36 AM EDT
First of I'm a Marine I love my iron sights even on my duty weapon as a police officer I don't use the issued EOtech and beat out all the people who do use there Eotech when they qual. I'm about to build my wife her AR-15 I got her the light weight package 16" M4  with a flat top and front sight.

Now this is what I'd like the ladies the ones who do not shoot as much and the ones who shoot all the time to chime in. I love shooting and have for a long time and been doing it since I was a kid my wife not so much! I want to know should I start her on the iron sights or should I get her a red dot to start out with? I know military get people who never have shot to shoot but we don't have tax payers money to spend on ammo and time like the military we both work and I want her to feel confident if she has to use this weapon!

I know woman learn faster then men as I found teaching my wife how to shoot a pistol she got it a lot faster then I did! So do I do the iron sights or red dot? I want to do both in the long run folding iron sights with a red dot! Yet I'd like advice on what you ladies feel is best to start with? Thank you
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like my red dot that I have on my AR-15. I do have both on the rifle, but the red dot is so easy to use. I had never used one until I got my AR, but enjoyed both enough that I now have a 15/22 with a red dot on it also.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have access to both, then let her shoot both before deciding. Women don't all have the same preferences.

FWIW, I like shooting with a scope when shooting anything >50 ft because I have shit for eyesight, even with correction. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I think everyone should master iron sights before moving on to optics.  If you have vision issues obviously that may not be possible but as a general rule.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally I would go with iron sights first, and than move to optics.  The reason being is simple learn the basics first.  After that move on to optics, and to be honest, I wouldn't buy a Leupold right off the bat, I would use a cheap knock-off first, just until she decides whether or not she likes optics.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I learned with irons first, and still prefer them, but it's important to try a bunch of new things to see what she prefers and what works best for her.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Every shooter, male or female, should start with the basics.  Gun safety should be number one and mastering iron sights number two.  Learning to use iron sights does more than just teach iron sights, it teaches good marksmanship, and without that foundation everything else is weaker.

If she's interested in shooting, it shouldn't be an issue if she doesn't want to learn the basics she's probably not ready to learn how to shoot yet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have access to a red dot I would use it. A first time shooter needs a lot of positive feedback and being able to hit the target more often will do that. It should just make it easier on her. Later you can take it off or let her shoot yours with just the iron. The only time I would say do irons first is if it's all you have and if your home defense gun is irons only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top