Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2014 1:07:05 PM EDT
I'll try to summarize as much as possible:

For over a decade my wife has been on the mini-pill (progesterone only) except for when she was pregnant or trying to get pregnant.  She chose to go off the mini-pill a few months ago.  Since then her menstrual cycle has increasingly gone haywire.  At first it took over a month, then jumped around between 21 and 27 days, and then it went to less than two weeks, and for the past few weeks it seems like she's bleeding on and off every other day.  Just when she thinks her period has stopped it kicks in again.  Coinciding with all this are an increase in her migraines the past few months.

She spoke with her doctor about options.  He isn't in favor of the standard pill, perhaps because when she used it 15 years ago it seemed to coincide with some increase in migraines, possibly from the estrogen.  He worries that a copper IUD could make her periods worse when they're already a problem right now.  He's fine with her going back on the mini pill or using the hormone IUD Mirena which essentially works the same as the mini pill.

My concern:  I believe that there was a negative correlation between my wife using the mini-pill and her libido.  I worry that the Mirena IUD option would do the same.  Still, I'll support whatever is best for her health.

My wife now prefers to not use any BC at all (and place the burden of prevention on me), in part because she would like another baby.  At the same time she recognizes that her cycle is out of whack and needs something to stabilize it.

I don't know if any of you have solutions to suggest, but I need a sounding board to figure out where to go from here.  Of the options I know, it sounds like going back on the mini pill may be the best option, though I'm not thrilled about the side effects.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
"Honey...the guys on ar15.com all think that you should go back on the pill and so do I"

That will work real well bro!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The pill gave my wife all kinds of negative side effects as far as feeling sick and headaches, etc.  But she originally got on it to regulate her cycle as a teenager.  Once she got off of it when decided to have our first child, her cycle was all messed up at first, but it worked itself out after a while.  

After we had our son, we decided for her to forgo the pill since it makes her feel so terrible, so we just use condoms (unless her cycle makes pregnancy unlikely).
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Freeze some sperm, then get a vasectomy. Problem solved
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry for the derail Shane, but is this kind of thing possible (i.e. not expensive)?  I've decided to get a vasectomy after kid #2, but the whole permanence of the thing makes me a bit nervous about if we ever change our mind.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sorry for the derail Shane, but is this kind of thing possible (i.e. not expensive)?  I've decided to get a vasectomy after kid #2, but the whole permanence of the thing makes me a bit nervous about if we ever change our mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possible, but not probable.  Besides, it does nothing to help the immediate concern which is my wife's cycle being out of whack for months.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Honey...the guys on ar15.com all think that you should go back on the pill and so do I"

That will work real well bro!!!
View Quote

Good thing that wasn't my plan.

There's a reason I posted this in the woman's forum and not GD.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Possible, but not probable.  Besides, it does nothing to help the immediate concern which is my wife's cycle being out of whack for months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the thing about pills - it can take 2-3 months even, to normalize.. whether getting off of them or switching. It's fucking miserable. Estrogen is one of those things you do NOT want to mess with. It may normalize, but if it doesn't, I would definitely see a doctor about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here's the thing about pills - it can take 2-3 months even, to normalize.. whether getting off of them or switching. It's fucking miserable. Estrogen is one of those things you do NOT want to mess with. It may normalize, but if it doesn't, I would definitely see a doctor about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been about half a year and the cycles are becoming more erratic with each passing month.  She is seeing her doctor about it.  Just this last week, actually.  In the original post I mentioned his thoughts and was seeing if there's anything else the women of Arfcom could suggest besides those he mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, okay. I didn't know if she was seeing him currently about it.

A friend of mine was having troubles while on the pill. She switched to the implant, and after a couple longer-than-usual periods, has evened out. Has he said anything about it to her?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, okay. I didn't know if she was seeing him currently about it.

A friend of mine was having troubles while on the pill. She switched to the implant, and after a couple longer-than-usual periods, has evened out. Has he said anything about it to her?
View Quote

No, but a co-worker mentioned it to me.  She had a bad experience with the copper IUD and just had the implant done in her arm.  Works by the same hormonal mechanism as the mini-pill and the hormone IUD.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Have all the babies you are going to have then tie her up works the best!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone for being a sounding board for me.

The more I've thought through this, the more it comes back to the same two options:  Remain off hormonal BC and wait and hope that her cycle eventually stabilizes, or go back to the progesterone-only options such as the mini pill, Mirena, or the implant.  Whatever she chooses I'll continue to support her.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have all the babies you are going to have then tie her up works the best!
View Quote

We have five.  I'd consider six except for a combination of concerns that includes the significant special needs of our oldest as well as the financial obligations we are encountering with our kids (all five need glasses and it appears that most, if not all, will need orthodontics).  We already have two doing orthodontics with a third waiting for her turn at getting braces.  My wife just has an exceptionally strong mommy-drive, despite the fact that she is fit to be tied because of our existing kids on a regular basis.

The fact that her sister recently had a sixth child, and about a third of our neighbors are expecting their 6th or 7th child is only aggravating the mommy-drive.

Anyway, with her hormones so out of whack I'm not sure how well she'd be able to conceive at the present.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Shane, your wife might look into progesterone therapy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife did not go back on the pill after our son was born. For the past 5 years we have been monitoring her cycle and only taking care of business during "safe" times.

I got snipped in December so that is that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#16]
How are her diet, exercise level, stress level, and general overall health?

Is she on any regular medication, vitamins, or herbal supplements?

And I know it isn't precisely polite, but what is her age? Is it possible she is going into early menopause?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How are her diet, exercise level, stress level, and general overall health?

Is she on any regular medication, vitamins, or herbal supplements?

And I know it isn't precisely polite, but what is her age? Is it possible she is going into early menopause?
View Quote

Diet is pretty good.  She tries to do a 1/2 hour run three times a week  Pretty good health with no significant health challenges besides her cycle being out of whack and occasional migraines.

No regular meds.  Takes a multivitamin on a fairly regular basis.  No herbal supplements.

Age?  Without being too specific I'll say that she's mid 30's.

Looking back, there was a time years ago when we experienced trouble conceiving.  Blood work showed that her hormones were off enough that she needed some hormone therapy in order to conceive.  So this wouldn't be the first time that she's experienced difficulties with her hormones.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like it could be wonky hormones again, then. Progesterone therapy can help, as can some of the herbal supplements for menstrual health.

Still an off chance that it could be early onset menopause, but less likely than a return of wonky hormones. And while birth control can regulate cycles while she's on it, its usage can also screw up cycles when usage is discontinued.

Good luck though. It sounds like she's miserable.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like it could be wonky hormones again, then. Progesterone therapy can help, as can some of the herbal supplements for menstrual health.

Still an off chance that it could be early onset menopause, but less likely than a return of wonky hormones. And while birth control can regulate cycles while she's on it, its usage can also screw up cycles when usage is discontinued.

Good luck though. It sounds like she's miserable.

View Quote

She's being an absolute trooper about it.  I have no personal frame of reference, but going through multiple menstrual cycles a month has got to be tough.  I can empathize with the migraines, though.  Poor thing.

I'm supposed to get a call back from her OB/GYN today regarding my thoughts and concerns I gave his nurse last Friday.  I find it interesting that the nurse didn't know that the Mirena IUD uses the same hormonal method as the mini-pill until I mentioned it.

Oh, for the record, my wife was the one who suggested that I call the doctor about my concerns, and the nurse contacted my wife directly to verify that it was kosher to discuss the matter with me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Shane, I applaud you for having an active role in it instead of being of the mindset "it isn't my body so do with it as you wish".

It really tans my hide when spouses don't consult with each other about decisions that have an impact on the other.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Informative update:

Got a call back from the OB/GYN's office.  Nurse told me the doctor's feedback to my questions.

1.  Ever since some study done around 2010, there is increasing pressure to stop using the combination hormone pill for women over the age of 35...especially for women who suffer from frequent migraines.  Apparently there is some sort of increased risk of stroke.  So that option is pretty much out for my wife.

2.  In light of the above information, the copper IUD would be one standard recommendation for women over 35, but...

3.  ...in situations like my wife's where part of the goal is to normalize menstrual cycles, the only real remaining options are the mini-pill, the Mirena, the depo-provera shot, or the implant.  All of these options use the same mechanism: progesterone doses.

I thought this might be of interest to others.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Shane, make sure she's eating enough meat and iron. She can become anemic, with her cycle acting like it is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:53:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Honestly, are kids something that is still on the table for you guys?  IIRC you have several already but I may be mistaken...

If it isn't something you may consider later on I'd seriously consider ablation and be done with the whole damn thing.
If I could - both financially, and finding a Dr. to do it for someone who has no kids; I'd be on the table tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't take the pill or any other method of birth control, for that matter.   I have developed too many unwanted side effects from being on the pill when I was younger, I guess.  

After my first daughter was born my cycle was all out of whack and stayed that way for too long.  My OB/GYN had no solution for me other than some sort of pill, shot, etc.  Knowing that was not an option for me I switched doctors and found one that taught the Marquette method of natural family planning.  

That is the method we used until The Monk got snipped.   Might be worth looking into.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#25]
nm.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I highly recommend a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It's a little touchy-feely but it is the BEST as far as understanding your cycle.

It sounds like your wife has a hormonal imbalance, maybe a luteal phase deficiency (which involves progesterone) or PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). I'm not a health professional of any kind, but her symptoms sound familiar to me because I have had the same problems.

My non-professional opinion is that she avoid the pill and IUDs. I have never met anyone with an IUD who didn't regret it and I have one friend with cervical scarring from it. (She had the copper, too.)

The pill can be dangerous. Every other day I hear about another class action lawsuit, usually involving blood clots and strokes. The truth is, the pill doesn't "fix" anything. It's not a cure; it's a hormone band-aid, and as far as hormone therapy goes, there are less dangerous options than the pill.

I would HIGHLY recommend the book I mentioned, and seeing an ob-gyn who is trained in NaPro Technology. (Google it.) She needs a doctor who is willing and able to get to the bottom of the problem and fix it instead of just prescribing a pill.

My qualifications for answering this question are years of suffering leading to years of research. When you have a period that lasts 18 months and the doctor's only recommendation is a procedure that will leave you sterile at 28, you start finding your own answers. I will pray your wife finds hers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm afraid I don't have suggestions for the immediate health stuff going on for your wife, but I strongly recommend against an IUD.  I had to have surgery about a year ago to have mine removed, because it punctured the wall of my uterus.  It then proceeded to completely pass through it, until it was in my abdominal cavity, where it was at risk of puncturing other organs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Update:
For the time being, my wife is holding off on any birth control and simply giving her cycle an opportunity to normalize again.  She actually had a break between periods for a couple of weeks, but her period is certainly heavier.  Still, she's going to give her body time to see if it will normalize.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well she is showing signs of estrogen dominance which is pretty typical after a progesterone therapy (kind of like a whip lash effect) she will settle down and naturally (with out any other HRT) is best.  She should look at her diet, make sure no soy products are hidden and she could try HIIT every morning (earlier the better) for 5-8 minutes to boost her testosterone and cortisol naturally.

Over all it doesn't sound too abnormal (not like she's going to have any severe repercussions to her cycle, with the exception of pregnancy )  What I suggest however would probably make her feel better, what she is experience is sort of like a mini baby blue (depression after the baby is born) which isn't horribly fun either.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Birth control has cause more problems for me than I care to list. I have been completely off since getting my IUD surgically removed 3 years ago. My cycle still goes crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top