User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remember, I nursed both mine...no guarantees on this, girls!

Doing well. In late October, I elected to have an oopherectomy to reduce my risk of recurrence. Smooth recovery, but doc is still deciding adjuvent therapy options (she's hesitant to put me on ant-breast cancer meds...I am having lots of joint pain and these meds can worsen it.
On another note, am starting a new job next week and am finally feeling like me, again. I still have 25 pounds of steroid weight to lose, but...otherwise, I am doing ok.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't remember if this was mentioned earlier in the thread or not, but an interesting tidbit for any of you moms or ladies who might be moms in the future: breastfeeding for about a year can reduce your risk of breast cancer.  My wife was telling me that it's roughly a 15% decrease in risk for each child nursed for a year.

I'm in a good place.  Even if it only counts the first year, I'm like 90% golden.

Still hoping the best for you PMM.
Remember, I nursed both mine...no guarantees on this, girls!

Doing well. In late October, I elected to have an oopherectomy to reduce my risk of recurrence. Smooth recovery, but doc is still deciding adjuvent therapy options (she's hesitant to put me on ant-breast cancer meds...I am having lots of joint pain and these meds can worsen it.
On another note, am starting a new job next week and am finally feeling like me, again. I still have 25 pounds of steroid weight to lose, but...otherwise, I am doing ok.

Low Estrogen levels are hard on joints, for both men and women.  Between the previous chemo treatments and the current Estrogen blockers that she's on, my MIL's joints are in terrible shape and she's had to have hip replacement, surgery on one knee, and shoulder surgery as a result.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you for being so frank with this information.

i check every month out of habit. figured one more couldnt hurt.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Bumping.

Because you ladies are important to your families: grope yourselves and please get your mammo.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bumping.
Because you ladies are important to your families: grope yourselves and please get your mammo.
View Quote

God, fine, groping myself right now We spoil you
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bumping.
View Quote

wow, i missed a lot--after i bumped (and spanked) in 2013, i didnt come back!

hope youre well, PMM

keep on checking, ladies!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw the bump & remembered it's about that time of the year to schedule check-up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 46 and I've never had a mammogram yet. No history of breast cancer in the family. I'm finally getting the girls squished on Monday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm 46 and I've never had a mammogram yet. No history of breast cancer in the family. I'm finally getting the girls squished on Monday.
View Quote
49 here, have had them done past 15 years. (x-large rack) No family history.  Early detection is the key, we are blessed to have this medical technology available.

Positive thoughts & vibes for clear outcome Marie.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
49 here, have had them done past 15 years. (x-large rack) No family history.  Early detection is the key, we are blessed to have this medical technology available.  

Positive thoughts & vibes for clear outcome Marie. http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81086

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Positive thoughts & vibes for clear outcome Marie. http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81086

Thanks, but I'm not worried. It was just time for the first squishing. I'm big and I bet it's gonna hurt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
We ended up losing Kathy to pancreatic cancer a few months ago.  Sad.  Hers was a pretty rare strain, and also a primary cancer.  She made it through breast cancer just a few years before.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Went yesterday. Already have my test results back. The girls are normal. Yay! :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Went Monday.  Abnormal.  

Go back Monday.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Went Monday.  Abnormal.  

Go back Monday.
View Quote

I'm sorry. Hope it's just a wonky test and the second one is fine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#14]
11/5/15
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bumping.
View Quote

Just saw an article in the past week or two where they are recommending mammograms with decreasing frequency.

Thoughts?

ETA - NYT article - American Cancer Society recommends fewer screenings
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just saw an article in the past week or two where they are recommending mammograms with decreasing frequency.

Thoughts?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bumping.

Thoughts?

Personally I don't care what they suggest.  My wife lost her grandmother to breast cancer.  Her mom has had it.  My wife is going to get tested yearly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Personally I don't care what they suggest.  My wife lost her grandmother to breast cancer.  Her mom has had it.  My wife is going to get tested yearly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bumping.

Thoughts?

My wife lost her maternal grandmother to breast cancer as well.  Her mother died from heart failure, but had some cancer IIRC.  Her dad had some as well.

I'm not sure how often she (my wife) gets checked, but I'm curious if those who go frequently are hearing anything like this from their doctors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My mother was diagnosed at age 41. Had a lumpectomy and radiation.

She was dead at 61 from Leukemia. Doctor's acknowledged that the cause might have been the radiation therapy 20 years earlier.

Breast cancer is not something to fool around with; don't wait until you're doctor tells you it's time to pay attention

My mother in law insisted that my wife get tested for the BRCA genes about 10 years ago IIRC). Said she was participating in a study.. Wife's test result was negative.

My MIL died of bone cancer last year; turned out it was metastasized from the breast cancer she was treated for and presumed to be in remission. She was 61 when treated for the breast cancer (she didn't tell anyone) 71 when she died from the metastatic bone cancer, which she had been fighting for 3 years (but didn't tell anyone about until she was almost at the point of hospice care).Bone cancer hurts..

Yes, I'm trying to scare you. Because it is scary. Self-examination, mammograms, etc. Not optional if you want to live a long, healthy life.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I lost my aunt to cancer, though it wasn't breast cancer that took her in the end.

First round was breast cancer. She kicked it's ass, was clear for three years, decided to have another baby finally. When my cousin was 1 year old, the cancer came back - this time in her spine. She was dead 6 weeks after diagnosis. It was incredibly aggressive and spread up her brain stem.

Poor baby grew up without a mama.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do your exams.
No excuses.
Save the pro 2A boobies!

View Quote

Here Here!  Lost a boob to cancer at 28, first in my family - so seriously ladies, do self exams, early treatment is much easier!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Got my first squish last month.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top