Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Good message, OP!

It's prevalent in my wife's family, so she definitely stays on top of it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Good post and advice.  Hang in their Playmore.  I was 40 when I had my first mammogram and was diagnosed from their with cancer.   Even today I have to fight with my insurance to have annual mammograms and honestly I do not know why they do not simply do routine ultrasounds.  Every year I have my boobs squished and every year I am sent in for an ultrasound.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel like starting one of those GD theads: Ask a __who just ____anything....

Just had my biopsy and wanted to say that I may have not believed the literature they gave me telling me it was no big deal. They numbed me, stuck a needle in my boob, and took samples. And I lived. I must have built it up to be this scary painful thing, so much so that when they were done with the needle part and just wanted to take more mammogram pics, I was shaking like a leaf even though nothing hurt. Just a big ol' bundle of nerves and it wasn't even painful.

So for anyone else worried about it, it really IS no big deal, at least not pain wise. Get your mammograms! I won't know results for five days or so but I'm not worried. My Mom had the same thing and was just a cyst. I will operate under the same assumption until I hear otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
PMM, I haven't been to this forum in ages, and this is the first I've seen of your scare.

I'm so glad you are doing well.

I'm a bit overdue with the smashed boobie party, and will schedule tomorrow thinking of you.

My soon to be daughter in law has a sister that had breast cancer in her 20's, and both she and another sister carry the gene.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi PMM,
Its been a long time for me too to come in here. Glad to hear you are on top of this with the girls. Glad to hear that the treatment is going well. As some couple age the touching starts to fade. Thanks for reminding me that I need to help my wife stay healthy and I need to resume some of that closeness with her for her own good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello all!

I am doing very well. My hair is growing in, so now instead of looks of pity from strangers for my baldiness under do-rags, I get the "I think she's a dyke," look...particularly when I hop outta my Jeep.

LOVE IT!!!! HA!

I finished Rads in Dec and have spent the time since then looking for comfy clothes..."Lefty" is still cranked, sooooo.

Other than exhaustion (I will nap after this post!) and added weight from the 'roids (GAH!!!!) I can honestly say, I am doing very well.

Dawn: Get 'em squished and feel 'em up

Actually, that goes for all of you ladies: early detection absolutely saved my life.

Max, Yeah...as we get older we tend to get less playful. Thankfully, the Mr. was forgetting his age that night.

Db8sGr8: you should have your results...I hope all is well with you...

And now for something I have learned: (Patty, listen up) there is a new mammo in town: Tomographic Mammography. I am getting one in April (my first since concluding treatment). Now, back in my Army days, we used tomographic x-rays on kidneys. Apparently, they've adapted it to mammography...this is HUGE...I have (as many women do) dense breasts (yay for "shape", booooo for finding the rogue cells!). Well, tomographic mammos "slice" the breasts for a more accurate picture and can find rogue cells easier. Ask your docs if this study is right for you. As far as insurance...I fight them frequently...when I am losing, I remind them that I have nothing better to do than to make them miserable...sometimes, I win.

OK...Nap time. Yeah, according to the doc my stamina will take months to return...that part really sucks.

But I am HERE.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
(hug)

rock it lady!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
PMM glad to see the good news.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
PMM,
Thanks for the info about tomographic mammograms.  My wife has mostly dense tissue so this is good news.  I'll mention it to her and have her ask about it at her next visit to her OB/GYN which I believe is this month.

Oh, and best wishes for your recovery, PMM.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Per Doc: "Benign." What a relief. :) On a lighter note, Doc cracked me up when preparing to give me the lidocaine before the biopsy, instead of saying please throw your arm back over your shoulder, she said "breast" instead. I said "I'm not that old yet." We all laughed quite a bit over that image.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a scare a couple years ago, but turned out okay.

The capt and I checked mine this morning, and nothing unusual to report!
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Good news, ladies!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Hellloooooo my firearm femme fatales.

Have you done your self exams, lately?

"But Playmore, I had a mammogram 6 months ago"

I had one less than 4 months before finding my lump

"But Playmore, I am under the age of 40 and I am young!"

The fastest growing BC demographic is under 30. UNDER 30, ladies!

"But Playmore, there's no history in my family!"

Mine, neither

"But Playmore, I don't have time!"

And you won't have any if you're dead.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#18]
My Wife just received the following flier on 3D Mammography. I felt it should be shared here. Wherever you live, query the facilities near you to see if they do this (and if insurance will pay for it). Good luck and stay healthy!!!

http://www.fototime.com/2C8E9BF8A1AFC3D/orig.pdf

Apologies for the sideways view, it wouldn't let me rotate a PDF.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Wife just received the following flier on 3D Mammography. I felt it should be shared here. Wherever you live, query the facilities near you to see if they do this (and if insurance will pay for it). Good luck and stay healthy!!!

http://www.fototime.com/2C8E9BF8A1AFC3D/orig.pdf

Apologies for the sideways view, it wouldn't let me rotate a PDF.
View Quote
Link failure...I need a membership to view.

That said, I go next Wednesday for my 3D Mammo.

I am apprehensive as I am in some pain, right now...I am dealing with truncal lymphedema and (possibly) Mondor's Cord (Doc thinks it's Mondor's but won't commit until after the mammo---says it "feels like Mondor's" but the growth is "low" for it ).

I am in some pain right now and squishing my rogue boob is NOT something I wanna think about---nor do I wanna think about it not being Mondor's.

I haven't told anyone but the hubby about it, as I don't want family upset: we've had 2 deaths in the family this past week and a friend just lost her 26 year old daughter to cancer this week as well.

So far, 2014 has NOT impressed me.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#20]
My apologies on the bad link, I had no idea. I saved it as a PDF (more readable than JPG) and couldn't upload PDFs here natively.

I just resaved it as a JPG and will post the link below.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#21]
PMM,

Very sorry to hear of your losses.

And my thoughts and prayers go out to you for a quick and positive resolution to your current problems.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree with Barbara. Everyone does have a great outlook on getting through it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I survived the squish and I got my 3D mammo, today...AND...I got the ALL CLEAR!

I looked at the images myself...no, I'm no doc...but there were no evident masses that I could see (I've worked in x-ray---back in my military days).

I am one relieved girl.

I see the surgeon next week for a F/U for the mondor's and then we go on the 6 month plan with him (I am on the 3month with my Onc and 6 month with my Rad Onc. )

Almost a year after the man found my lump, we see light.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

PMM,

Very sorry to hear of your losses.

And my thoughts and prayers go out to you for a quick and positive resolution to your current problems.
View Quote
Thanks.

We're getting there...The memorial service for my friend's daughter is this weekend. It's gonna be tough. The girl was only 26 and was a new mom. It's heartbreaking. I don't think there will be anyone in control of their emotions, Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
PMM,

Glad to hear the good news.  

Hang in there for your friend and hope that the rest of the year is better for all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Great advice!

Is it really obvious that a lump is different than the normal lumpiness? I always wondered if I would even know the difference if I felt one.
I'm nervous about my first mamo. I've heard so many complaints about it squishing too much and hurting. Is it really that bad? (I know it's still worth it, but just wondering)
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Great advice!

Is it really obvious that a lump is different than the normal lumpiness? I always wondered if I would even know the difference if I felt one.

I'm nervous about my first mamo. I've heard so many complaints about it squishing too much and hurting. Is it really that bad? (I know it's still worth it, but just wondering)
View Quote

I guess it depends on the lump...I am normally "Fibrous." That's a good thing: means the girls are..."perky." Those normal lumps are rather "large." The lump the hubs found was pea-sized and protruded under the nipple to the touch. It was hard, like a pebble.

If you feel ANYthing unusual, GET it CHECKED. The key to surviving breast cancer is early detection. Plain and simple.

Now, as far as the "squish."

Trust me when I tell you, if I can handle it after 2 recent lumpectomies AND 34 rounds of radiation, ANYone can handle the "normal" squish.

Get. Er. Done!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#29]
PMM, glad to hear you are doing better.

My MIL (84 years old) went through breast cancer, she had fibroids all her life.  Tests, more tests, surgery, chemo & radiation.  She lived with us through the whole ordeal.  It's been 2 years since the surgery and 1 year since her treatments ended.  She still says she is very tender where they cut it out.  Her last test -3D- gave her the 'all clear', for 6 months.

It was a nightmare to see some of the people enduring the treatments.  Many of them did not make it.  

I have several relatives who have died from cancer, because it was not diagnosed soon enough, including my sister 2 years ago.  It is never too early to check and you can never do it too often.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Reviving this thread...

I have had some minor setbacks--apparently, surgery, Chemo and Rads are a cakewalk for me and the adjuvant therapy is my kryptonite. Tamoxifen (the drug women take for 5-10 years to prevent future breast cancer) caused a DVT (clot) in my arm. So, off that I went and now I am on blood thinners.

They started me on therapy meant for older ladies (post menopausal) by chemically pushing me into the change. Weeeeeeellllll....my body said, "Frig you, drugs, I are YOUNG!," and am having all kinds of nasty side effects. Doc pulled me off the drugs and I see her next week.

On top of it all, just had vocal chord surgery...I damaged them over the spring, playing Satan in a church play (shut up) and had to have polyps removed (believed to be benign) and the chords shored up (I believe the Tamoxifen had something to do with that).

Doc says complete silence for 7 days. So I sit here, completely incapable of speech for 7 days (husband lost his bet in the pool HE created as to when I'd talk ) thinking, it may be time to remind the ladies to grope. Had I found the damn thing sooner, maybe some of this shit would not have happened.

Please ladies...get your screenings (if you have dense breasts, get the Tomographic Mammo) and grope your boobies.

If for NO other reason, the drugs they put me on caused significant weight gain...my normally skinny ass is WAY unhappy about that.

Catch it sooner and surgery may be your only battle.

Happy groping.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#31]
You, beautiful lady, keep yourself quite and easy.

Our love and prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#32]
PMM,

Sorry to hear of all the set-backs. Best wishes for a complete recovery and smooth sailing from here in out!

You might be interested in a local 1-day conference in Quincy, MA, the Friends of Mel Conference on Saturday, Oct. 18th
http://friendsofmel.org/conference/
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#33]
PMM - I'm so happy you were able to catch it early stage and get treatment. It sounds like you're doing well and I'm glad to hear that :o)

My mother-in-law is a 9yr survivor of stage 4 b.c. :o) I can't remember at the moment exactly what type she had, but it was very aggressive. When they found the extra large egg sized lump, they wanted to wait it out for 6 weeks and see what happened We opted out of that plan - got another Dr and she was in surgery in two days and radiation / chemo went on from there.

A LOT of people have stories like "my Dr said to wait and see what happens". DON'T WAIT. Do the smart thing - do like DesertGuns and find another Dr!

It's horrible that so many have cancer stories :o( You're doing a great thing, PMM

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm thinking of you PMM.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No bumps in the lovely lady lumps!

NO!!!! Get them knockers mammo-squished once a year!
Lookie who else my thread dragged in! First DC, then you!

Bump!!

I haven't been around and this is a perfect time for me to show up. The reminder is much appreciated and was completed!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Bump!!

I haven't been around and this is a perfect time for me to show up. The reminder is much appreciated and was completed!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump!!

Excellent...I loves me a well-maintained rack!

<can just see the men squirming in their seats, wanting to comment on THAT!>

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Best of luck to you. My mother is a breast cancer survivor ( 12 years and counting ), I saw what she had to go through.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed.......
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Excellent...I loves me a well-maintained rack!   <can just see the men squirming in their seats, wanting to comment on THAT!>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bump!!

Excellent...I loves me a well-maintained rack!   <can just see the men squirming in their seats, wanting to comment on THAT!>

You are so rotten.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You are so rotten.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are so rotten.

I demand a cat with an apple on its head...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#41]
It's October and I am gonna revive this a bit, so that those of you putting off your mammogram are reminded to make the appointment.

Please do ask if the tomographic mammogram is an option, if you have dense breasts.

Men reading this, please make sure your loved ones are tested AND grope yourselves, too....while the numbers are much lower, over 2500 men will be diagnosed with the disease this year---particularly those with BC in the family.

Grope yourselves and grope your partner.

If it leads to other groping, well...you're welcome.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't need the reminder.  We have FOUR breast cancer survivors in our office alone.  FOUR OF TWELVE women in my division have had it.  
I watched my 66 year old coworker have both of hers lopped off last year, she was off for three months and has had multiple surgeries.  You can tell it scared the shit right out of her.

I'm on for 11/04/14.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's October and I am gonna revive this a bit, so that those of you putting off your mammogram are reminded to make the appointment.

Please do ask if the tomographic mammogram is an option, if you have dense breasts.

Men reading this, please make sure your loved ones are tested AND grope yourselves, too....while the numbers are much lower, over 2500 men will be diagnosed with the disease this year---particularly those with BC in the family.

Grope yourselves and grope your partner.

If it leads to other groping, well...you're welcome.

View Quote

Hadn't really thought about it, but now that you mention it, a friend of my dad died from that a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't remember if this was mentioned earlier in the thread or not, but an interesting tidbit for any of you moms or ladies who might be moms in the future: breastfeeding for about a year can reduce your risk of breast cancer.  My wife was telling me that it's roughly a 15% decrease in risk for each child nursed for a year.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I can't remember if this was mentioned earlier in the thread or not, but an interesting tidbit for any of you moms or ladies who might be moms in the future: breastfeeding for about a year can reduce your risk of breast cancer.  My wife was telling me that it's roughly a 15% decrease in risk for each child nursed for a year.
View Quote
This is true...but it didn't help me...by all accounts, I was NOT supposed to get breast cancer, given my history.

Dammit!

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Mamo scheduled for 11/21 dragged my feet this year, about 8 months late.

Have very ample & dense breasts, may inquire about that other kind of mamo.  Had not heard of it before your thread.....

This thread always bumps me into action & not let myself drag it out longer.  Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Mamo scheduled for 11/21 dragged my feet this year, about 8 months late.

Have very ample & dense breasts, may inquire about that other kind of mamo.  Had not heard of it before your thread.....

This thread always bumps me into action & not let myself drag it out longer.  Thanks OP.
View Quote
Good to hear...yes, ask your doc for a Tomographic X-Ray.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in a good place.  Even if it only counts the first year, I'm like 90% golden.

Still hoping the best for you PMM.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm in a good place.  Even if it only counts the first year, I'm like 90% golden.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember, I nursed both mine...no guarantees on this, girls!

Doing well. In late October, I elected to have an oopherectomy to reduce my risk of recurrence. Smooth recovery, but doc is still deciding adjuvent therapy options (she's hesitant to put me on ant-breast cancer meds...I am having lots of joint pain and these meds can worsen it.

On another note, am starting a new job next week and am finally feeling like me, again. I still have 25 pounds of steroid weight to lose, but...otherwise, I am doing ok.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top