Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/9/2013 5:35:49 PM EDT
Barb has expressly forbidden boob threads.

And I am gonna defy her.

Why? Because ladies, every chest is a treasure...and mine is being looted by a rogue group of cells.

Yeah. I'm "coming out," as it were to help save ARFcom boobies.

Getting a mammogram once per year is not enough (and is usually only done on women over the age of 35).

You young women who think you have nothing to worry about? You're wrong. One in eight women will develop breast cancer over her lifetime. One in EIGHT.

I was 33 when I found two masses (not cancerous) but I have two friends who were diagnosed in their 30's. And I am about to meet some diagnosed in their 20's. I am in my 40's and am considered "too young," as this disease usually plagues women with 10+ years on me. So you young ladies? Cancer is like a lecherous fool: it likes youth.

"But nobody has breast cancer in my family, Playmore!"

Guess what? Nobody in mine does, either...except me.

So ladies, this is me asking you NICELY (those who know me, know I am not overly nice ) to DO YOUR EXAMS.

Every month, when your period has stopped, get into the shower and grope yourselves. Don't wanna do it? Fine...ask a man to do it...preferably someone who KNOWS your boobs. I'm not kidding. The Mr. Found the lump in mine...

Men reading this, do NOT post stupid shit.

Just don't.

Those reading this wanting to post sympathy, don't.

I don't feel sorry for myself...my prognosis is VERY good...I am post op (lumpectomy) and am awaiting chemo and radiation...I didn't post this looking for sympathy...I posted this so you women can see it DOES happen CLOSE to HOME.

Do your exams.

No excuses.

Save the pro 2A boobies!

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well stated Playmore.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Momma had it when she was 50 (removed her left breast and all lymph nodes on that side), so I make sure I check myself monthly. Had my first mammogram this year (32yo) and I don't regret it one bit.

Better to be safe than sorry!
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I tell my wife to check herself as often as possible.  I'm not sure if she takes it that seriously, so I tend to check for her as much as possible.

I'm 31, she's 28 and I can't imagine watching her suffer with cancer.  

Please, ladies, check yourself often!
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I can not agree with you more on getting checked. I am not even 30 yet but will start getting checked soon. A lot of types of breast cancer can be easily treated with little chance of returning if caught early. Good luck on your treatment Playmore. Your a fighter.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#6]
My doc has subtly reminded me the last couple years that I need to go get a mammogram but I keep putting it off.  I guess I should just do it and get it over with.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Boob threads are ok. I tried to make the rule "you can ony talk abut them if you" have them but I've seen pics.

Glad you're doing good. What kind did you have, if you don't mind me asking? I have a nerdy interest in this stuff.

Btw..I kow at least two ofus have lost our mothers to breast cancer, as well as countless friends.

I'm oing the Koman walk again next month. 3 miles in 60 days or something like that.

View Quote
I am early stage, non-lymph involved DCIS and IDC with the (now removed) tumor measuring 1.5mm. (Size of a pea...my husband has some special hands and great familiarity with my boobs!)

It's estrogen/progesterone - based.

Ladies? That means your hormones are capable of killing you.

ETA: Size corrected and for you diagnostician junkies, adding:

Grade 2, Stage 1, TIC, NO, PR+, ER+, Her2 Neg, Brca1 and Brca2 mutation negative.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My doc has subtly reminded me the last couple years that I need to go get a mammogram but I keep putting it off.  I guess I should just do it and get it over with.

Don't put it off...but don't rely on just the mammo:

I had my last CLEAN mammo 4.5 months prior to finding my tumor...Mammos are the lowest form of diagnostic tools...ultrasound and MRI are far more accurate, but...it is what it is.

DO YOUR SELF EXAMS.

Please, ladies...One in eight is NOT the greatest odds!
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Boob threads are ok. I tried to make the rule "you can ony talk abut them if you" have them but I've seen pics.

Glad you're doing good. What kind did you have, if you don't mind me asking? I have a nerdy interest in this stuff.

Btw..I kow at least two ofus have lost our mothers to breast cancer, as well as countless friends.

I'm oing the Koman walk again next month. 3 miles in 60 days or something like that.

I am early stage, non-lymph involved DCIS and IDC with the (now removed) tumor measuring 7mm. (Size of a pea...my husband has some special hands and great familiarity with my boobs!)

It's estrogen/progesterone - based.

Ladies? That means your hormones are capable of killing you.

Mom's was hormone based, too. It showed up when she was taking hormones for menopause.

Thank goodness your hubs is so hands on!
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Started having mamo's in early 30's due to size.

Self exams do not work for me, a lot of tissue & being overly blessed.

This thread has given me something to think about, will attempt self exam on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This thread has given me something to think about, will attempt self exam on a regular basis.

Good...aside from poking the fools in GD, this is my mission in life.

Really though, I really want women to take this seriously.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
PMM is right. A good friend and former co-worker lost his Wife at 39 due to breast cancer . . . she refused to get checked out until it was too late.

Get checked out as we live in the best area of the country for top-notch medical care (only redeeming value of MA IMNSHO) and the odds are extremely good if it is caught early enough.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#13]
All the women in my family have high levels of hormones. I've been getting checked at the dr since I hit puberty. I've always had "fiberous" tissue which cause lumps so it's in and out on a regular basis.

another set of hands might be a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Mom's was hormone based, too. It showed up when she was taking hormones for menopause.

Thank goodness your hubs is so hands on! [/div]

Compass, your statement gives me concerns since my wife has been going thru the menopause thing for several years and is taking hormones.  She gets annual mammograms and checks herself regularly(I check them as well since I have known them for 34 yrs.)  If she doesn't already know I will let her know about the added risk of hormones.

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Had my first mammogram at 25 due to size and having fibrocystic breasts, plus a family history.

No sign yet, but better to play it safe.

P.S. my doctor said my mammogram looked like two polar bears in a snowstorm. I lol'd!
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Asked my doc for a mammo a few months back.  She said they are too expensive and that at thirty-three I was too young to worry about it.  WTF?  Changed docs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Asked my doc for a mammo a few months back.  She said they are too expensive and that at thirty-three I was too young to worry about it.  WTF?  Changed docs.

Atta girl!

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah the AMA or whatever they are called came out with new guidelines that pushed the recommended age back several years because they said the research showed getting them before whatever age does more harm than good.  I saw it on the news a year or so ago and everyone being shocked.  It also gave insurance companies the ability to deny mammogram claims before whatever the new age is.  I don't remember what the new recommended age is though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah the AMA or whatever they are called came out with new guidelines that pushed the recommended age back several years because they said the research showed getting them before whatever age does more harm than good.  I saw it on the news a year or so ago and everyone being shocked.  It also gave insurance companies the ability to deny mammogram claims before whatever the new age is.  I don't remember what the new recommended age is though.
And that's the real rub....

Fuck this shit...Ladies? Demand better!

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same thing happened to my wife awhile ago.  Even though she has been gettting them since she was 28 and they were covered under insurance.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's the real rub....

Fuck this shit...Ladies? Demand better!

Like PMM said that is BS that insurance companies are now dening claims.  

By the way the "U.S. Preventive Services Task Force" and "The American Cancer Society" set the new recommended age to 40 then annual visits.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Just a side note:  Some cancers, such as lobular cancer, won't show up on a mammogram.  My MIL just recently had a mastectomy after they found lobular cancer.  Because she lost her mother to breast cancer she's always been very good about getting mammograms, but lobular cancer is often invisible to the mammograms.  It wasn't until she noted some physical symptoms (inverted nipple) that doctors started trying other tests and they finally located the lobular cancer using some kind of MRI scan.  They estimate that she had the cancer for well over a year (at least for two mammograms) before it was finally discovered.  I'm just saying not to get complacent with mammograms and make sure to pay attention to other signs/symptoms as well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I also have one of those stupid doctors that think I'm not at risk until I'm 35. I find it even more frustrating considering I lost mom to breast cancer when she was 56. She had the same cancer Barbs mother had and I can tell you that it is not a cancer you want to face. Not like any cancer is good. I plan on demanding checks this year or next.  Until then I will continue with the self exams.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I also have one of those stupid doctors that think I'm not at risk until I'm 35. I find it even more frustrating considering I lost mom to breast cancer when she was 56. She had the same cancer Barbs mother had and I can tell you that it is not a cancer you want to face. Not like any cancer is good. I plan on demanding checks this year or next.  Until then I will continue with the self exams.

Cowboy has the best job- EVER.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Ladies...have you done your exams, lately???
This is a gentle reminder.

Don't make me get un-gentle!
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope, will do it today PROMISE!

If you care enough to post this thread & follow up then I care enough to be proactive about my breast health.

Link Posted: 8/16/2013 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nope, will do it today PROMISE!

View Quote

If you care enough to post this thread & follow up then I care enough to be proactive about my breast health.

Excellent!

And tell your S/O I said, "You're welcome!"

Link Posted: 8/19/2013 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#27]
You ladies have given me somethings to think about. I also have largeness breasts and fibrocyctic tissue but my docs have always told me this greatly reduced my risks of cancer. Add that to mil med and the new regulations..... Guess I need to be better about self exams.

Although I am not sure when to do them currently..... Have a little growth going on in the tummy for the next few months
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I do exams regularly but with all the attention they get my husband would know if something wasn't normal
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You ladies have given me somethings to think about. I also have largeness breasts and fibrocyctic tissue but my docs have always told me this greatly reduced my risks of cancer. Add that to mil med and the new regulations..... Guess I need to be better about self exams.

Although I am not sure when to do them currently..... Have a little growth going on in the tummy for the next few months
View Quote
Congrats...it will be hard to do them, but pick a date that would have singled the end of your menses.

And Fibrous breasts do NOT reduce the risk...I'm as lumpy as a Comfort Inn mattress in DC. Fact is, fibrous just means you're young...

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Completed my second 60 mile walk yesterday. Thought about you and everyone else I know that's been affected by this.
View Quote
Way to go!

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Lost my mom to cancer last year. We lost a forum member to cancer last year.
Nasty, nasty disease.
Check yourselves often and get treated early
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Very sorry for your loss brother.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#34]
worth a bump, since im wandering around in here for the first time in months

if you havent done your exam this month, this is for you!
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

worth a bump, since im wandering around in here for the first time in months

if you havent done your exam this month, this is for you!
View Quote
Hey you!!!

Good bump (and spank!)

Last Chemo treatment today...Ladies, if you don't want to deal with chemo (and its sexy baldness and Steroid-induced weight gain) find it early.

Chemo can be avoided (I came thisclose) to avoiding it...but you gotta be pro-active.

And if you DO find something, do not put it off. I had a history of benign lumps and thought about putting off the call...husband demanded I call immediately. If I hadn't, I shudder to think what would have happened.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Update:
Chemo is done and my Brca1 and 2 tests came back as not carrying the mutation.

That means that genetics played NO part in my cancer...luck of the draw, did.

Ladies, have you groped yourselves, lately?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I wish you the best with your treatment, recovery process and raising awareness of the issue for other women/men.

I am not sure if this is the case for some or just lucky fighters, but I often wonder if breast cancer can actually form from somewhere else in the body? my grandmother had ovarian cancer had everything removed and 9-10 years later was diagnosed with breast cancer (1989) she had one removed and completed her chemo. She was declared in remission I believe in 1991. she died in 2011 with pancreatic cancer. Breast cancer kind of runs in my maternal family (3 generations) so at the age of 25 I started with yearly exams and hope not to make the 4th.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I wish you the best with your treatment, recovery process and raising awareness of the issue for other women/men.

I am not sure if this is the case for some or just lucky fighters, but I often wonder if breast cancer can actually form from somewhere else in the body? my grandmother had ovarian cancer had everything removed and 9-10 years later was diagnosed with breast cancer (1989) she had one removed and completed her chemo. She was declared in remission I believe in 1991. she died in 2011 with pancreatic cancer. Breast cancer kind of runs in my maternal family (3 generations) so at the age of 25 I started with yearly exams and hope not to make the 4th.
View Quote
I have learned a metric shit ton about Breast Cancer...and its relation to Ovarian.

Breast / Ovarian cancers are usually hormonally "born."

*Usually*

That said, the same estrogen that can cause breast cancer can cause ovarian (and vice versa).

So, My tumor was ER (Estrogen Receptor) positive and PR (Progesterone Receptor) Positive. Because of that and because of my "youngish" age for this disease, they ran the Brca1 and Brca2 (referred to as "Bracka"---the "Angelina Jolie gene," if you will) mutation test on me...Why? Because had it come back positive (it didn't) it would mean I have a higher chance of getting ANOTHER Breast Cancer or Ovarian Cancer down the line, and would need to take proactive measures (ovary removal or mastectomy) to prevent going thru this again.

I am willing to bet your gram was Brca mutation positive and the ladies in your family in the bloodline REALLY need to take me seriously and talk to their docs: get mammos younger than 35. DO exams...I have seen this disease target women as young as 18. I am not trying to scare you, but to empower the ladies in your life.

As for you...if you are male, or have brothers, approximately 2,000 men/year get breast cancer. Yes, men are vulnerable...and any children they may have are as well.

Link Posted: 10/2/2013 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#39]
PMM, I'm glad that you are doing well.

My Wife went for her annual mammogram earlier this week at BWH/Faulkner (Sagoff Center) and they were offering 3D mammography. However they told her that they would not be able to read it same day, so she opted for 2D (results: normal). Afterwards she told me this and I told her "more resolution is always better" and next time go for the 3D and wait a day for the results! Sagoff also told her that 3D mammography might become their new standard. So the message is to ask what your options are at your annual checkup and make your decision on the answer that will get you the most detail to ensure you have nothing lurking that might not be as visible by a lesser technology.

Good health to you all!
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My Wife went for her annual mammogram earlier this week at BWH/Faulkner (Sagoff Center) and they were offering 3D mammography. However they told her that they would not be able to read it same day, so she opted for 2D (results: normal). Afterwards she told me this and I told her "more resolution is always better" and next time go for the 3D and wait a day for the results! Sagoff also told her that 3D mammography might become their new standard. So the message is to ask what your options are at your annual checkup and make your decision on the answer that will get you the most detail to ensure you have nothing lurking that might not be as visible by a lesser technology.

Good health to you all!

View Quote
I was just reading about that...

Check this link out:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/news-breastcancerbreakthrough/1/

Some interesting stuff there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

PlaymoreMinds rocks!
View Quote
You kinda do, too.

For a Canadian....

Link Posted: 10/8/2013 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Thank you. I just forwarded it to my Wife.

Quoted:
Check this link out:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good health to you all!
Check this link out:

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I just wanted to say that I'm so glad you came out on top of this, my sweet friend. It's a truly scary thing, and you're such a strong and amazing woman. I had no doubt in my mind that you'd kick it's butt. And because of you, I'll be getting my first mammo this year. Breast cancer runs in my family, but I've always put it out of my mind as much as I can. Thanks for opening my eyes again. LYMI. :)
View Quote

Get that mammo and do your self exams, girly.

As an update: 2.5 weeks of radiation down and 4 to go...

And because I just ain't right in the head, when this song came on the radio one day last week---on the way home from radiation, I was singing at top volume in the Jeep:

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#46]
No bumps in the lovely lady lumps!

NO!!!! Get them knockers mammo-squished once a year!
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

No bumps in the lovely lady lumps!

NO!!!! Get them knockers mammo-squished once a year!
View Quote
Lookie who else my thread dragged in! First DC, then you!

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Don't joke about boobs.
Save'm all

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank you for this thread, Playmore. I'm glad you've  had a good outcome.

Just wanted to mention I had a mammogram this week. They made me come back for more views and an ultrasound, and since they don't have previous mammograms for comparison, they want to do a biopsy.

Doesn't sound much worse than getting a filling at the dentist. How long does it hurt afterward? Thanks, Sistahs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top