Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2001 7:40:11 PM EDT
What was the greatest triumph of the US Military?
The Revolutionary War, where we esablished our independence? The Mexican War, where we claimed America from Texas to California?
World War II, when we rescued the world from Fascism.
The Persian Gulf, took back Kuwait with the loss of less than 500 men.
Or some other war, maybe even Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps the American Civil War, where the
U.S. military preserved the Union.  As for
battles, the Battle of Midway.  John
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I would say the revolutionary war. With out that victory we would not had all of are other victorys. thats just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The Revolutionary War.  Took on far greater odds than in any war fought since.  Washington only won 3 out of 9 battles but since they never gave up the Brits(most powerful military in the world) simply got tired of chasing him around.
Biggest slaughter would have to be the Gulf War.
Strategically, it would have to be the Cold War since we ground them down economically and made them crumble from within.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They are all important victories for different very important reasons.  But the best victory of all is EACH AND EVERY VICTORY.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say that the greatest American Victory would be the winning of the Cold War,, a war without battles, only casualties.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably the Gulf war.  Most of the others were a willingness to throw in cannon fodder till a favorable conclusion was reached.

We proved to everyone in the world after being plagued by doubt after Vietnam and Korea that we had the most technically advanced military, the training to use the new machines and doctrines to our advantage, and the political and military leadership to crush our chosen enemy no matter how well defendable.

Too bad we frittered away EVERYTHING we gained and could have gained from that victory.  So we won a few lucrative contracts to rebuild Kuwait.  Big deal.  Bush Sr. and Clinton share alot of that responsibility, and both houses of congress were willing accomplices.  Too bad those willing to speak out about this are marginalized as kooks like Scott Ritter.  I have a feeling the Gulf war was a warmup event like WW1 was to WW2.    
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The conclusion of WW2 was one of the greatest victories in U.S. history. However, it left us with a much more powerful enemy than we faced during WW2, the Soviet Union.
I don't think it will be long before the magnitude of the cold war will be forgotten.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I say the Revolutionary War as we were a marginally trained and equipped force fighting the British military - one of the most formidable forces at that time. Underdog vs. Superpower. The British lost when, in theory, they should have won. In World War II, we had a large, relatively well-trained military and fought alongside our allies against the axis powers. I'm not trying to undermine the cost of World War II or the many acts of heroism. I just feel that in perspective - the Revolutionary War was a much greater struggle with more to lose.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I might agree about the American Revolution,
if it were not for the French assistance.
Benjamin Franklin provided vital help in France
during the war.  John
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Civil War: Gettyburgs, many feel this was the complete turn-about in this war. [from this point on Lee was on the defensive] Also the heroic action of the , Iron Brigade, Holding the high ground on the right and nearly wiped out, 1st day. Chamberlin's defense of Little Round Top. Pickett's disastrous mile long charge across an open wheat field directly into the center of the Union line. There are several great books on this battle from several prospectives, great movie by Turner Pictures [on VCR]. With the one additional book, Iron Men, Iron Will to complete the basics. Duce:
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would say that the greatest American Victory would be the winning of the Cold War,, a war without battles, only casualties.
View Quote

I think the Cold War is a victory because we managed to get through it without destroying the world with nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The Revolution gave us independence.

The war with Mexico gave us land.

WW2 gave us more government.

I'm not quite sure what the Gulf War gave us.

I'm not sure what our military's greatest triumph was, but the Revolution was our most important war.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Biggest triumph?? A Commander in Chief that is elected by the people (ok indirectly I know), that has it's finances managed by the Legislative Branch this is also elected by the people.

A military that has stood by for over 200 years and protected the citizens decisions, and never tried to overpower the citizen's say so.

A military that has always done what it has been called on to do. Sure some of the victories weren't pretty, but they have never been whipped. Sure some of the times the quality of the military was worse than others. What other country has to turn away volunteers during time of war??

What other military has been so disprortionally strong, when compared to other countries militatries, and showed the kind of restraint that the US armed forces have??

The greatest triumph isn't anything on the battlefield. It is the honor and integrity of the US Armed Forces, and the honor and integrity of the individual sailors, soldiers, airmen, and Marines, whether they are involved in battle or training.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Oly, Outstanding!!!!

You have to figure America is one of the few countries anywhere who hasn't been overthrown by its own military, (although it was close sometimes).

Hopefully the military will continue to protect us and let our elected representatives lead us.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The Gulf war gave us cheap oil, and a chance to show the rest of the world how well we kick ass.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
SAAALLLUUUTTTTEEEE TO OLY.

Marines Pouring fire into enemy lines, fierce; deadly; massive. Huge casualties, The white flage go up. The Marines stop firing at the same time; the whole damn brigade stopped firing at once. That is training.  <---- 1991 Ground Campaign in Kuwait/Iraq.  

That was not a highly indicative war, but I think that it gave the United States more training in 6 months then they had had in 2 years. Which I think is very highly important. The Arabs tought our men how to navigate by stars. Our troops were honed to a fine edge in the Desert, A good deal of whom are still with the Armed Forces today. We learned alot about Middle Eastern countries war fighting doctrine and how well they fight.  We become a better fighting force for the war.  The Gulf War gave us a great deal. It also let the Soviets know for sure what our capabilities were (read the Politburo writings about the Gulf War)

And sometimes I think getting your asses stomped into the ground is good to.  It shows where you need improvement without a doubt. It teaches lessons that sometimes need to be learned. And it reminds you that no matter what Technology you possess. And how well you train you are still Human and can be killed. It teaches you respect for your enemy and it tells you to never overestimate yourself or underestimate your enemy both of which can get you killed.  Evidenced by Somalia. Vietnam.  

But without a doubt I would say the revolutionary war was our greatest victory.

Benjamin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top