Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Musashi
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Sharpshooter by Fred Ray
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Oxygen:  The Molecule That Made The World by Nick Lane, on evolutionary biology and the deep history of Earth.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The Perfect Storm

Nature is scary
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By figley:
BLACKWATER: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army
View Quote
I read that and Dirty Wars by the same author. That guy really does not like Blackwater
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MissileCop:
Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45, by Max Hastings
View Quote
I am about halfway through this now and it is just great. I've been on a Pacific War kick recently and have read The a Fleet at Flood Tide by James Hornfischer, a telling of the US v Japan in 44-45 but with an emphasis on UDTs, Strategic Air, and the Amphibious forces. It was really great. I also read the first two books in Ian Toll's Pacific Trilogy and am eagerly awaiting the release of the third.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Just finished A Dog Before a Soldier. It's a collection of essays about the little known achievements of the Union Navy during the Civil War. For example, there was a squadron of rams designed to ram and sink the ironclad Virginia. The Virginia declined battle with them though. There is also an essay about the failed Confederate attack on Fort Butler and this was because a Navy officer feigned sympathy with the Confederacy and gaining their confidence, learned of the attack. The Navy then position its gunboats to support the fort with grape and cannister shot.

Also read From Corruna to Waterloo. It's the diary of two British Hussars who fought against Napoleon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Started reading Caldwell and Cooper's Rifle Green in the Peninsula, Vol. 4.  It's about the 95th Rifle Brigade.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Mr Boomslang & 7 Other Rhodesian Fireside Tales (Volume 1)- DJ and M Schorr
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Just stared Delavan Miller's Drum Taps in Dixie. Miller was in the Second New York Heavy Artillery.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
War in the Air: Rhodesian Air Force 1935-1980 by Dudley Cowderoy and Roy C. Nesbit
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Memoirs of a Rifleman Scout. A Boyscout Leader joins the KRRC and fights in the trenches.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#13]
irving's Way of the Reaper.  It's a sequel to his first book on being a sniper in the 3/75.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The Last Punisher.  It's by a teammate of Chris Kyle in Seal Team 3.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Just started reading Dmitriy Loza's Fighting For the Soviet Motherland.  It's the only account I've read from a Matilda crewman (funny, no Englishman ever wrote or cared to write about his experience in that vehicle).  Anyway, Loza mentions a defector who was taken into the Gehlen Organization and was trained in Berlin for 8 months before being infiltrated back into the Soviet Union via Iran/Persia.  

I supposed the traitor's route would be via Turkey into Syria and then Iraq before Iran. I didn't realize the Gehlen Organization reach was that far (I knew they were in Syria because Syria was part of Vichy France).   Said traitor came forward post-war but Smersh learned from Loza and other survivors from Loza's unit about the desertion.  Smersh then squeezed the rest of the story out of the defector/deserter.   While Loza does not mention what happened to him (he was handled according to the law), we all know what Soviet justice does.

Elsewhere Loza mentions that the T-34 of 1942-43 all had a lot of spalling.  Loss of some mines in Ukraine meant that a certain component was unavailable for tank production and this made their steel very hard (brittle).  So, even if there was no penetration, crews would be injured by spalling.  Smersh investigated it and searched for the parties responsible for "counter-revolutionary sabotage" and it wasn't until injured survivors reported the defective armor that the issue was closed by Smersh.  Still, because nothing could be done, the Soviets still churned out tanks with brittle armor.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes.  This book follows up on his two previous books, Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat.  Recommended reading for anyone struggling with their waistline or "pre-diabetes".

Another library book, this one is so popular that I had to wait for over three months to get it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
"The heart of everything that is"   The untold story of Red Cloud.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Sherlock's Marches and Battles of the 100th Indiana Infantry.  One of its member was Theodore Upson.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Coughlin and Bruning's Shock Factor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:32:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#20]
John Herberich's (sp) Masters of the Field.  It's about the Fourth U.S. Cavalry Regiment (regulars) before and during the Civil War.  Hebrich's relative was a sergeant in that unit.  In the prologue I learned a lot about cavalry before the war (most of my reading was on infantry and artillery of the era).
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The Paras: Portugal's First Elite Force and Portuguese Commandos: Feared Insurgent Hunters, 1961-1974 by John P. Cann
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#23]
'In The Garden of Beasts' by Erik Larson.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
From page 50 of William Ash's Under the Wire: The World War II Adventures of a Legendary Escape Artist and "Cooler King". Ash was a Texan who grew up in and about Dallas. As a boy, he saw the depression and as he got older, rode the rail and wandered among hobos. When war broke out, he made his way to Canada to join the RCAF. They rejected him as underweight and he returned home, borrowed $20 and ate as much as he could for two weeks to gain weight. He passed this time and was trained to fly Spitfires. Assigned to 411 Squadron in Group XII, he shot down a couple of planes before being shot down himself.

At about this time, I became tangentially involved in one of the most remarkable deceptions of the war. Several of us were sent to fly guard duty over an aircraft carrier in the English Channel, only it was not an aircraft carrier at all. In reality, it was an old tramp freighter with a huge false wooden deck, painted up to look like an aircraft carrier. It was designed to lure the enemy bombers out to attack it, and very obligingly, they did just that.

For some days the enemy planes returned, wasting ammunition and energy on a wooden dummy boat, as we and the guns on board hammered back at them. Then, on one particular dark night, a single Stuka dive-bomber risked oblivion to swoop down over the ship. Before it veered away, it dropped a single bomb that clattered on the deck but did not explode. A bomb disposal expert inched up to examine it. It was a wooden bomb, dropped on a wooden boat, the Germans' way of saying the game was up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Ash tunnels out and is wandering around Lithuania when he decides he want to steal a small boat to escape to Sweden. Unable to move the boat, he approached some workmen and asked for help.  One apologizes and says that while they would help, as German soldiers they cannot and Ash is again captured.  He is returned to Luft Stalag III and finds there are Americans there in an adjacent compound.  Both sides want to coordinate an escape and while the guards are distracted on both sides, Ash climbs the fence, cross the barbed wire barrier to the second fence, and swaps place with an American colonel who takes his place on the British side.

He spends a night in the American camp.  From page 272:

The atmosphere in the American compound was also more boisterous, from horseplay to goon-baiting, something that had annoyed some of my more stuffy English friends int he days before we were split up into different nationalities. Personally I found their energy very refreshing.  I enjoyed my strange reunion with these good-natured rumbustious guys in a place none of us ever thought we would end up.  When my friends went back to their nearby hut for the night, I stayed with some of the escape committee to go over more plans.  Later, as I dozed off in a strange bed, I heard an incredible row and racket coming from the nearby American hut.  It sounded like a full-fledged battle, but as the guards investigated, everything went quiet again.

Next morning, as I nervously prepared to do a repeat reverse performance of my high-wire act to get back to my own compound, I managed to snatch a few words with one of my pals from the hut net door.  asked him about the ruckus.  He smiled sadly and told me it was just an argument about the war.

I was incredulous.  Here we all were, volunteers risking our lies in battle between good and evil, all prisoners of that same enemy and yet they were still arguing about the war?  What the hell was there left to argue about?  As I moved into position for my hundred-yard ash over the earth wire that led to the fence, my American friend called after me, "Not this war.  The Civil War!"
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Glorious Victory.  About Andy Jackson whipping the British.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#27]
War of 1812 by Hickey.  Prof. Hickey is considered the dean of the War of 1812 by Lafitte National Battlefield Park.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Just finished Roger Hillsman's American Guerilla:  My War Behind Japanese Lines.  Picked it up for $1.50 plus tax at a Friends of Library bookstore.  Hillsman graduated from West Point and joined Merrill's Maruaders where he was injured by Japanese machine gun fire.  While recovering, Merill's Marauders was disbanded and Hillsman transferred to OSS Detachment 101 which operated behind Japanese lines.  Given a battalion of Chinese, Khan, Burmese and other indigenous soldiers, he engages in scouting, ambushing and sabotage.  Afterward Hillsman is sent to Manchuria where he liberates his father, a full bird colonel, who was captured in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Started Fed Up.  It's an insider's view of the Fed Res.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Assignment Selous Scouts: Inside Story of a Rhodesian Special Branch Officer by Jim Parker and James and the Duck by Faan Martin
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:53:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#31]
Perry's Saints.  Wish I read it before 2009.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Third Option,Vince Flynn
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Found Victor Ostrovsky's The Other Side of Deception at a library book store.  I read his first book, By Way of Deception, decades ago.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Blue and Gold: The History of The British South Africa Police 1889-1980 by Nick Russell and Hugh Phillips
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#35]
British At the Gates.  War of 1812.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Band of Brothers
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QueenDeNile] [#37]
The Forgotten Soldier: The Classic WWII Autobiography by Guy Sajer
It's a detail account of a 17 year old draftee for the German army during WWII.  Very well written, very intense.  I just started it so right now his platoon which was sent to resupply the German 6th stalled in Stalingrad is withdrawing after the fall (surrender).  I highly recommend it.

Just finished-I would say this book is in my top ten best books of all time. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:45:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#38]
Alamein to Zem Zem.  Divisional staff officer deserts his position to rejoin his regiment (Sherwood Foresters) and fight in a Crusader III tank.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Panzer Aces.  Picked it up (paperback) for 80 c.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#40]
BTW, finished Tank Rider before staring Panzer Aces.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#41]
finishing Lee Child's One Shot, much better than the Killing Floor
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
The Perfect Storm

Nature is scary
View Quote
and it don't give a fuck .
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Seim's book on color case hardening is next.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#44]
The True Masonic Experience

On Amazon
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#46]
The Secret Surrender by Allen W. Dulles
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#47]
The World Was Going Our Way: The KGB and the Battle for the Third World by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrohkin
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Kipling's The Complete Jungle Books.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#49]
PARADISE VALLEY - C.J. BOX
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Recently finished Union v. Confederate Cavalryman and J. Seim's book on color case hardening.

Busy working on illustrations for the third book.  Catching up to Rikwriter I guess.  
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top