Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
2/23/2017 5:55:53 PM
Posted: 10/2/2001 4:40:17 PM EST
Hypothetical situation: An old friend of about 10 years or so is getting out the gun collecting hobby and has offered you first picks out a really nice collection. Because of fiscal concerns, you will only be able to choose from on of the following rifles. Each rifle in considerstion is in 90+% condition (these are very nice, almost museum quality) and will have a properly dated and correct sling and a properly dated bayonet and scabbard (he was very particular about correctness in his collection). The rifles in consideration are: A) 1903A1 Springfield B) 1903A3 Springfield C) M1917 Enfield Price will not be a major concern and each rifle is in unaltered military condition. Please make a choice and give some input into your answer. I forgot to copy down the dates of the recievers but every gun had a build sheet with it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:44:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:38:52 PM EST
I would chose the Enfield, because it was the gun that fought WWI, but any choice would be good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:49:33 PM EST
Get the '03-A3. Good caliber, good handling and good sights. 2-groove barrels bother me, though. Having owned the '03 and the 1917, and having shot my brother's 2-groove '03-A3, I say buy the '03-A3. It will make a good hunting rifle, no matter what you are hunting. --------- "Four grooves good, two grooves bad."
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:59:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Chuck: The chances of any of these rifles being in "unaltered" condition are almost nil. At best they'll be restorations.
View Quote
Might not be true. I have my great-grandfathers 1917 Remminington. All serial numbers on the rifle match. Wood is a bit beat up, but it still looks great. No major damage, no gouges in the wood or metal. Also have the bayonette and sling. I also have most of my uncles rifles (served in Korea - M1 Garand and Carbine) and my grandfathers (WW2 - M1 Garand, Nazi marked Mauser, some Polish rifles, and a Nazi marked pistol). All are orgininal, and some are in better shape than others. I took some to the gun shop to be checked out, most collectors jaws hit the floor. You might be surprised what some people have.... Av.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:10:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:21:36 AM EST
chuck, youre obviously pretty knowledgeable about these. i've recently come into what appears to be a p17 Winchester parade rifle, all chrome, rarely if ever fired. serial #xxx000. the barrel has the ordnance bomb on it, and "CAI", which i assume is Century Arms. it shoots very nicely, though i think i'll most likely just fondle it, clean it, and put it away. can you tell me anything more about this piece, or point me to a good reference?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:52:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chuck: Avalon -- ... Are you saying your uncle and grandfather brought their weapons home with them?
View Quote
Yes I am. I know the weapons were brought home by my respective family members, and were not bought after the respective wars. Both my Uncle and Grandfather make it a point that these were the weapons they were issued during the war. My Grandfather didn't smoke and traded is cigarettes for the other weapons he brought home. I've had them checked out by several people who collect WW2 rifles, and all have told me they are original. My dad remembers playing with them when he was a kid, and many other family members remember them when he came back from overseas. I'll try to post pictures this weekend if you want. Av.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:06:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chuck: Avalon -- The M1 Carbine have a bayonet lug?
View Quote
Nope. I always thought that was odd, since they always seem to have one. Av.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:00:25 PM EST
Thanks for all the good responses. He is very close to selling and I think I might be able to arrange to get at least 2 of them. Still trying to decide jus what to get though. The person is very particular in what he allowed into his collection (some people might call it anal).
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:32:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:41:28 AM EST
[b]As to the M1917 chromed drill rifle, it's got about zero collector's value and is a $200 or less "shooter." -- Chuck [/b] thanks, i was afraid of that. i plainly paid way too much for it. but for this particular collector, it's worth more than 200, i think i'll keep it. at least it shoots straight.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 3:06:31 PM EST
Top Top