Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2001 1:25:10 PM EDT
Its called [i]The Border Wars of the Upper Ohio Valley 1769-1794[/i] by William Hintzen.

He has got to be the first person to properly and succintly explain the motivations of the Colonists to expand westward, and why they and the Native Americans hated each other soo much.  His views on the Indian practice of tortureing their captives is most enlightening.

Oh, and he is a excellent storyteller too...

You can get it from [url]www.amazon.com[/url] of from the printer at [url]www.precisionshooting.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
ArmdLbrl, I've always been interested in this period/area in American history.

If I were forced to pick the most interesting individual of this period, I would pick Lewis Wetzel (aka "Death Wind").

Thanks for the recommendation!  DaMan

PS - This book can also be found under the title "A Sketchbook of the Border Wars of the Upper Ohio Valley, 1769-1794: conflicts and resolutions".  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I do believe it's put out by the folks at "Precision Shooting". They printed some excerpts in a few issues awhile back I believe. Ah, so many good books, so little money for ammo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Lewis Wetzel is almost unbelevable, if it werent for the fact that so many other writers that were his contemporaries confirmed them..

He was part of the insperation- along with Boone- for the character Hawkeye in [i]Last of the Mohicans[/i]

The Hawkeye of the book basically lives over the same period as Boone but has the talents of Wetzel.  Like loading a flintlock long rifle on the run.  How he primed the pan on that I'll never know... when they filmed 1992 version of [i]Last of the Mohicans[/i] they had to use clever film editing to show Daniel Day Lewis replicating that stunt.  Neither he or any of the stuntmen they hired could duplicate that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the info on the book. Sounds like just what I'm looking for. I live in Wheeling, WV in the heart of the Upper Ohio Valley. Lewis Wetzel was well known in this area. The range I go to is the Lewis Wetzel Rifle & Pistol club appropriately enough.

Bushman556
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top