Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 4:36:06 PM EDT
so I've been looking into the uniforms used by the US Army during the Spanish American War and Philippine Insurrection.

In regards to the 1884 fatigue uniform, which was the khaki uniform that the Rough Riders were documented wearing in combat, I have to wonder if they were the only unit to wear it or if other units were issued it/ authorized to wear it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The Span Am war is outside my area of knowledge as far as uniforms go.  Stuff from 1910 and up are where I am good.  But I have a friend who is very knowledgable on the early stuff.  Let me ask him and I'll get back to you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Span Am war is outside my area of knowledge as far as uniforms go.  Stuff from 1910 and up are where I am good.  But I have a friend who is very knowledgable on the early stuff.  Let me ask him and I'll get back to you.
View Quote
thanks man
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the reply I received and it does make sense.

"The reason the "Rough Riders" and other Volunteer Regiments were issued the brown (not khaki) uniforms is that they were "work uniforms" for fatigue duty and there were not enough of the wool regulation uniforms around to issue them...It was "let the amatures" have them..."
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the reply I received and it does make sense.

"The reason the "Rough Riders" and other Volunteer Regiments were issued the brown (not khaki) uniforms is that they were "work uniforms" for fatigue duty and there were not enough of the wool regulation uniforms around to issue them...It was "let the amatures" have them..."
View Quote
tell your friend thanks for the info and yes that does make a lot of sense

from what I've been reading on the subject the mobilization of volunteers for that conflict was a total shit show in regards to logistics, between the total bottleneck in Tampa, the disease filled encampment at Chickamauga, the terrible troop transports, and just equipping troops.

To say we weren't ready is a total understatment
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Officers back then were a whole 'nother ball of wax.  They had to privately purchase their uniforms whereas enlisted were issued uniforms.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
That same problem existed right into WWI especially among National Guard units.

The units you see photos of during the Punitive expedition show a very wide variety in uniforms and equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top