Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 12:31:04 PM EDT
I have heard for 35 some years or more, that American history books where revised, and changed in the 1920's to what is read now by school students. My son is a major American history buff, and i would like to get him an American history book that was written before American history was changed (if it was?) Any recommendations on what title, and where to buy one? I am not looking for a collectors addition, a fairly good shape used text book would work out fine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
These are the sort of books that are being thrown out at home and removed from library collections all over the country.

Try a used book store--those are going away, too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ebay or Amazon, especially if you have the ibsn.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like digital books, Project Gutenberg is your source. They have over 1000 books of all types digitized, and they are almost all public domain, over 100 years old.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite historical topic is the first world war.  I collect and read everything I can get my hands on regarding the topic.  Used booksellers, the creepy firetrap places, often have that kind of thing and it's been sitting around long enough that they're usually grateful to see it go.  

One thing I will say though is that the books written on ww1 during and immediately after the war were CRAP.  The propaganda machine was in high gear at that time and the "histories" largely consist of that sort of thing and a lot of glorious backpatting.  It's interesting though to trade today's skewed viewpoint with yesterday's skewed viewpoint.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Check garage sales, small variety stores or trade/flea markets as well. My dad found a 1938 edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica for $35 at a garage sale, complete with the small shelf that it came with. I've only skimmed a few volumes, but it's absolutely fascinating reading.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Second hand book stores.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Abe Books. ABE Books
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.archive.org Has everything you seek.

This is one of my favorites. A History of the United States for schools and academies published 1839 by John Frost

I have purchased a few old history books from the early 1900's and the 1800's from eBay.  They aren't very expensive if the condition is rough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top