Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2016 9:36:56 PM EDT
Looking for some books on clinchs regiment, great great great grandfather rode with him, just seeing if there are any books out there on the unit?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not aware of any books published on that unit, but did find a decent web site:
http://www.glynngen.com/military/civilwar/4thga/DLClinch.htm

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
CONFEDERATE GEORGIA TROOPS
4th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry (Clinch's)

Overview:
   4th (Clinch's) Cavalry Regiment was formed in January, 1863, using the 3rd Georgia Cavalry Battalion as its nucleus. Many of the men were from Wayne, Glynn, and Camden counties. The regiment served on the Georgia coast until the summer of 1864 when it was assigned to M.W. Hannon's command. It skirmished in Northern Georgia and Alabama, took part in the defense of Savannah, and was active in the campaign of the Carolinas. A report stated that the unit contained 200 officers and men in March, 1865, and was included in the surrender of the Army of Tennessee. Its commanders were Colonel Duncan L. Clinch, Lieutenant Colonel John L. Harris, and Major Jesse C. McDonald.

Predecessor unit:

3rd Cavalry Battalion was formed during the winter of 1861-1862 with six companies. It served on the Georgia coast, scouting and patrolling, until Janaury, 1863, when it merged into the 4th (Clinch's) Georgia Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel Duncan L. Clinch and Major John L. Harris were in command.
View Quote

As well as this unit listed in Joseph Crute's work:

4th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry (State Guards)

Overview:
   "Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
View Quote

I also checked with Dornbush's Miltiary Bibliography of the Civil War Vol 1 to IV and didn't see squat on the 4th Georgia Cavalry.

Check with the Offiical Reords of the War of the Rebellion.

Also find out what brigade they were with and research that brigade (including the other regiments and histories, memoirs and dairies of those troopers).  After that repeat the process with whatever division they may be assigned to. Repeat with the corps.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
3rd Regiment, Georgia Cavalry

Overview:
   3rd Cavalry Regiment was organized by Colonel M. J. Crawford and mustered into Confederate service at Athens, Georgia, during the early summer of 1862. Some of the men were from Rabun, Whitfield, and Cherokee counties. It fought in Kentucky with General Wheeler, but at New Haven most of the unit was captured. A detachment saw action at Murfreesboro and after those captured were exchanged, the command was assigned to J.J. Morrison's, C.C. Crews', and Iverson's Brigade. It participated in the campaigns of Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Atlanta, was involved in Northern Alabama and Georgia, and in 1865 participated in various conflicts in the Carolinas. On April 26, 1865, it surrendered with the Army of Tennessee. Their field officers were Colonels Martin J. Crawford, Richard E. Kennon, and Robert Thompson; Lieutenant Colonel James T. Thornton; and Majors Daniel F. Booton and Hiram H. Johnson.
View Quote

As well as this:

Note:  State Guard units were much like today's National Guard but were not taken into federal (or in this case Confederate) service.

3rd Regiment, Georgia Cavalry (State Guards)

Overview:
   "Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're near the Virginia Historical Society, go to their Museum of the Confederacy branch and look up Silfikas' books.  They're also available in the Virginia State Library and the National Archives Library.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
if i get up that way i might, appreciate the info...I was able to trace a grandfather of mine through graves and then verify on the roster where he served. Even trace that guys lineage back to a captain in the revolutionary war
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, tell us more about them.

You can write the National Archives and ask them to dig up his service record (Civil War)
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am not aware of any books published on that unit, but did find a decent web site:

http://www.glynngen.com/military/civilwar/4thga/DLClinch.htm

Good luck!
View Quote
#17 in appendix C

and heres his grave which ive run the lineage all the way to my grandparents grave

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=66937364

and his great grandfather who died in the Revolution according to the DAR

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=149178846

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a relative that was in the ga 4th calvery . I ordered his military/pension record from the state. It  has  a lot of history in it. His name was R.F Burch of Dodge county.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a relative that was in the ga 4th calvery . I ordered his military/pension record from the state. It  has  a lot of history in it. His name was R.F Burch of Dodge county.
View Quote
how did you go about doing through in ga?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top