Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2016 4:22:47 PM EDT
Went to an airshow yesterday for WWI Aircraft, along with the awesome flying that was done, there were also reenactors set up and some vendors. Apart from picking up a very nice old book (War Birds, Diary of an Unknown Aviator) I found some old newspapers. I for one am fascinated with old (big events) newspapers. I can only imagine what it would have been like to pick one of these papers up on that very day... Its amazing to think about really... Anyway, whenever I can find these papers for a good deal I pick them up and frame them....They are my "office art." These papers aren't worth much -or-anything to a lot of people but to me, and in my honest opinion, they are priceless. They have frozen a point in time for me....Very important times....Who knows who read these particular papers. All are from Columbus, OH, the one being from OSU.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool! Great idea.

I have a copy of the newspaper from the day the astronauts landed on the moon. I should have it mounted in a frame. Would be cool in my office.

ETA:

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool! Great idea.

I have a copy of the newspaper from the day the astronauts landed on the moon. I should have it mounted in a frame. Would be cool in my office.
View Quote

The vendor I bought these from had a paper of Apollo 11 RETURNING from its mission, forget the headline, but showed the picture of the capsule and them at sea......IDK why I didn't pick that one up as well as the prices were great....
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome office art.  

Just be careful with them, the paper wasn't intended to survive.  Mount on acid free backing and try to keep out of direct sun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Awesome office art.  

Just be careful with them, the paper wasn't intended to survive.  Mount on acid free backing and try to keep out of direct sun.
View Quote

Even with UV-resistant glass, this a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Awesome office art.  

View Quote

Yep.  By contrast the cotton based paper 19th Century newspapers are still very readable.  I was doing some research on a USMC major who was in California in 1849.

Each sheet of paper should be layered with acid free paper (which should be changed when they get older).  Lay them flat and make sure insects can't get to it.

The  Smithsonian has a method to remove the acid, but you need to have Donald Trump type $$$$ to do it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice ones!  Here are a few of mine.

I've about 100 wartime papers, all currently in storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top