Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 6:44:20 PM EDT
I'm looking for suggestions on good books on the Falklands War.  So far I've read:

War in the Falklands (Sunday Times)
The Battle for the Falklands (Max Hastings)
Storming the Falklands:  My War and After (Tony Banks)
Air War South Atlantic (Jeff Ethel)

Any other good reads?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You already listed my pick - The Battle for the Falklands (Max Hastings)

ETA - there was an article in an aviation magazine that detailed the Vulcan bomber missions. Can't remember where I saw it though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard to find in the States but I would suggest "No Picnic" by Julian Thompson.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard to find in the States but I would suggest "No Picnic" by Julian Thompson.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/Commando-Brigade-Falklands-No-Picnic/dp/1844158799/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471645503&sr=1-1&keywords=no+picnic+falklands

Available through Amazon as both a kindle book and a paperback.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#4]
One Hundred Days, by Sandy Woodward. A very easygoing read by the commander of the British forces.
Argentine Fight for the Malvinas by Martin Middlebrook is the only one I know if in English which looks at it from the Argentine perspective. He has a companion book on the English side. Max Hastings', of course, is also worth a read.
Sea Harrier over the Falklands is an interesting book by "Sharkey" Ward, which is basically the memoirs of the senior fixed-wing aviator. Take with a pinch of salt, I found it to be highly opinionated, and if it were up to him, he'd have won the war in half the time at half the cost. However, if read with a critical eye, is an informative account.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone!

Whit
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the following, these are good books.

Two Sides of Hell by Vincent Bramley. This book has stories of members of both sides.

Take That Hill by Nick Vaux, he was the OC of 42 Commando

Ordinary Heroes by Christopher Hilton, this one is the stories of other ranks personnel, their experiences and how they dealt with the war later in their lives.

Too Few, Too Far by Malcolm Angel.  Angel was a part of Naval Party 8901, the group that was at Port Stanley and South Georgia during the Argie invasion, their brief captivity, and return to retake the islands.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Some more excellent books to search for -

Don't Cry For Me Sergeant Major -  Robert McGowan and Jeremey Hands
Goose Green  - Mark Adkin
2 Para Falklands, The Battalion At War - Maj-Gen. John Frost
Sea Harrier, Over The Falklands - Commander Sharkey Ward
Task Force - Martin Middlebrook
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top