Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2016 2:51:35 PM EDT
I'm looking into taking a trip to Europe in 2017 to see some World War I sites in Belgium and France.  Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations to share?

There is a cost premium, but I think maybe an all inclusive tour may be best for me as I'm not an experienced traveler.  You definitely get convenience and save a lot of time in planning with one of these.  If not an organized tour what would be a good way to work directly with European companies and sites?

Here are a few that I'm looking at.  The Smithsonian and New York Times tours look neat but they leave off some places.

Beyond Band of Brothers

Military Historical Tours

Stephen Ambrose

Here is a UK based operation.  Might be more bang for my buck.

Leger Holidays

Would it make sense to put this on an airline miles credit card?  If so what is a good bet there?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking into taking a trip to Europe in 2017 to see some World War I sites in Belgium and France.  Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations to share?

There is a cost premium, but I think maybe an all inclusive tour may be best for me as I'm not an experienced traveler.  You definitely get convenience and save a lot of time in planning with one of these.  If not an organized tour what would be a good way to work directly with European companies and sites?

Here are a few that I'm looking at.  The Smithsonian and New York Times tours look neat but they leave off some places.

Beyond Band of Brothers

Military Historical Tours

Stephen Ambrose

Here is a UK based operation.  Might be more bang for my buck.

Leger Holidays

Would it make sense to put this on an airline miles credit card?  If so what is a good bet there?  Thanks for the help.
View Quote

I haven't been on any of those tours, so just some generic advice after reading the websites.

Ask yourself- "What do I want to see?" and pick the tour that best matches your requirements.

Dig down into what hotels, restaurants, etc they will be using and make sure they will be adequate to your needs.

Do the tours offer options? For example, if you have an interest in exploring one site further in depth, is that allowed, or must you stay with the others at all times?

The Brit tour you list is deceptively cheaper in comparison.  The website explains that admission to the museums/sites/etc is not included on their tour- whereas it seems to be included on the other ones.  Also, it seems they are pushing the upgraded bus service at an additional cost.  Caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I did one through a college a decade ago.  If you have real interest in the history of the first world war it's like drinking from a fire hose.  If I could do it over again I'd visit less cemeteries and more battlefields.  Some cemeteries like Tyne Cot have their own unique features but you'll get burnt out looking at headstones.  Also it's hard to get deep into particularly interesting areas like Ieper or Verdun on a whirlwind tour.  There's a lot of ground to cover.  

Don't pick anything up.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top