Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2001 7:34:15 PM EDT
Does anybody know a good source for info about Lenin's return to Russia?  As far as I can figure out, he was in prison (Swiss?) and the Germans arranged for his release.  Am I even close?  I always figured that whoever conceived that plan was probably responsible for the biggest change in the 20th century.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The way I remember, the Mensheviks had taken over from the Czar and were a democratic goverment. They felt they were treaty bound to still fight the Germans and their allies. Germany thought it would destabilize Russia to return Lenin from exile. He arrived in St Petersburg, and the rest is history.
I bet if the former East Germans had had anything to say about it, Lenin would have been shot in exile.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Germany thought it would destabilize Russia to return Lenin from exile. He arrived in St Petersburg, and the rest is history.
View Quote

Germans put him on his own train and sent him back. Great idea at the time, destabilized the shit outta the Czar's army, but, as it turned out, rather short sighted on the part of the Germans.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
it was h. von moltke the commander in chief OHL of the imperial german army who stuck lenin along with other core communists onto that train.  lenin did not want to go fearing for his life, but was eventually persuaded/tricked into going.  moltke's hope was for a 5th white column to keep the czar's forces in disarray whilst the blitzkrieg of the von schliefen plan was in effect in the west.

a chain of simple errors out of ego and kidney illness in the german high command lead to the entrenchment of the armies.  according to the plan - the war was to last only 36 days to break the encirclement treaties of france and russia.  the plan was only to keep the imperial russian forces at bay until the french and britsh could be crushed in lightning attacks in the west.

ludendorf who later took over control from moltke in 1916 was a true forerunner of hitler.  brutal in his ways and very anti-semitic, hilter saw where ludendorf was weak and filled in the gaps.....

lenin destabilized a little but needed a large infusion of money (rumours are that it came from the u.s.!) - but the czar's reluctance to play dirty and rasputin's weird grasp on the ruling house of russia also played major parts of the downfall.

just as the czar had rasputin - the kaiser had h.s. chamberlin - who along with the legends of aryan greatness and the pan-germanic destiny - brought the fervor of war to germany.  the execution of the austrian royalty in serbia was the lynch pin that forced the hand of the kaiser.  

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top