Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2016 8:06:48 PM EDT
I am doing I research paper for a WWI class I am taking and am looking for any good books that have any portions related to public opinion before and/or during the war.

My topic is primarily about how the views and opinions on the homefront started and evolved as the war progressed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I'm still amazed that was held up in court.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Look into the last days of innocence by meirion and Susie harries.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You might start with Lusitania, the sinking of which was used to rile up the American public and "get them on board".
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
To End All Wars by Adam Hochschild. It only covers the anti-war movement, but it also gives good insight into the anti-anti-war operations carried out by various governments.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a decent anthology called "Women's writing on the First World War" that has a fairly unique viewpoint for the time.  Remember that the Espionage Act was putting people in jail for antiwar sentiment though so it aint like you're going to get anything like a full account of that side of things.  

It's also worth noting that, despite the approval you'll see in the remaining written record, Wilson was reelected largely on the strength of that antiwar sentiment.  "He kept us out of war" was his biggest campaign slogan and Hughes, his rival in 1916, spent most of the election bashing Wilson's failure to prepare for war.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The Doghboys-America and the First World War by Gary Mead has a ton of home front info in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top