Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 12:19:21 PM EDT
Was reading in a book by a former SS man that the Soviet 76.2mm anti-tank gun was actually developed in Germany but rejected by the German army in favor of the 3.7 cm doorknocker.  The design was then sold to the Soviets.  Anyone else heart this and is this just BS?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of quiet cooperation between the USSR & early Nazi Germany prior to 1941.  The Luftwaffe did a lot of training very quietly in the inter-war years in the Soviet Union.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Was reading in a book by a former SS man that the Soviet 76.2mm anti-tank gun was actually developed in Germany but rejected by the German army in favor of the 3.7 cm doorknocker.  The design was then sold to the Soviets.  Anyone else heart this and is this just BS?
View Quote

Was the Pak40 the result when the Germans realized the 37mm was useless against medium tanks?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was the Pak40 the result when the Germans realized the 37mm was useless against medium tanks?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Germans had the 3,7cm PaK 36, then had the 5cm PaK 38, and the 7,5cm PaK 40....so the 50mm was the interim step between the two...

Armor development far outpaced the AT development...and the 37mm AT gun was ok in the beginning of the war, most countries had some sort of 37mm AT gun...

Don't forget they were still issuing AT rifles, in rifle calibers, in the 30's....the Poles, and Germans both had 7.92mm AT rifles....

The Germans loved the Soviet 76.2mm, and turned them against the former owners whenever possible...one of the Marder AT vehicles was equipped with the Crash Boom....
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would this guy have had any expertise in the area to be a reliable witness?  Did he work in a Nazi design/purchasing bureau, or was this soldier scuttlebutt?

"Hey I heard a rumor..."
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would this guy have had any expertise in the area to be a reliable witness?  Did he work in a Nazi design/purchasing bureau, or was this soldier scuttlebutt?

"Hey I heard a rumor..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hey I heard a rumor..."

Nah, the guy was a SS private and a Belgian at that.  

I've never heard that story before and I think it is unlikely.  It's just that I'm not expert on Soviet artillery.  I've more stuff on German ordnance.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lots of quiet cooperation between the USSR & early Nazi Germany prior to 1941.  The Luftwaffe did a lot of training very quietly in the inter-war years in the Soviet Union.
View Quote

Yep.  Armor trained there too.   Lots of German influence on Soviet aircraft and armored vehicles.  Krauts got a secret place to violate Versailles Treaty & Sovs got exposure to German tech.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep.  Armor trained there too.   Lots of German influence on Soviet aircraft and armored vehicles.  Krauts got a secret place to violate Versailles Treaty & Sovs got exposure to German tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus the Germans paid in gold which the USSR desperately needed as the Russian currency carried no value to the rest of the world.  .
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've never heard that story before and I think it is unlikely.  It's just that I'm not expert on Soviet artillery.  I've more stuff on German ordnance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hey I heard a rumor..."

What book?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top