Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2016 10:01:30 PM EDT
Here's another interesting museum found off of I-20.  The 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum is in Abilene, Texas, and it memorializes the history of a WWII combat division that trained at a nearby Army post, Camp Barkeley.  It is a rather well done place, with 3 floors of exhibits depicting training life; the branches of a WWII combat division (armor, infantry, artillery, medical, chaplain, etc); life in POW camps- as some 12th Division soldiers had been captured; captured Nazi materials; and an exhibition on the holocaust,  the 12th being one of the US units to liberate concentration camps.

Front of the museum:

From the museum's website:

"The 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum holds a rare place among military museums. Our visitors, who tour military museums throughout the United States and Europe, tell us we are the only one dedicated to telling the story of one unit's combat history in WWII. Three floors of photographs, artifacts and personal testimonies of the veterans themselves tell the story of the 12th Armored Division.

This museum fills a void in the history of the war in Europe through the stories of a vital but often overlooked Army Division and the roles individual soldiers within it played in winning the battles in France and Germany. The majority of WWII military museums display military hardware and uniforms. They may have a video or two about D-Day or other major battles but they don't tell the stories of veterans from the perspective of the guys who were on the ground. Our photographs show what life was like for members of the US Army during WWII and make our presentation much more personal than the typical military museum exhibit."

http://www.12tharmoredmuseum.com/museum.asp

Campaign map of the 12th, Dec 44 - May 45:

Exhibits inside museum:

Detail of one of the dioramas in the basement level showing combat ops:

Tank on display with other vehicles outside, in back of museum:

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Did that Sherman hit a mine?

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.  It is just old, weather-beaten and rusty on the wheels.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Needs more come-along....
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That front bogey looks pretty FUBAR'd beyond a bit of corrosion.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be from moving it around from wherever they had it stored.  I don't know, but there is no mine damage that I remember on that tank.

Here's some other views of it:

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Did it spend any time as a target in an impact area?  Looks like explosion damage to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did it spend any time as a target in an impact area?  Looks like explosion damage to me.
View Quote

I'm still betting on a mine.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't you recognize Fury?  

ETA:  Where's the rest of that Tiger?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 of the 6 road wheels on that side show what appears to be combat damage.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it was a target tank, but I can't remember where. The Dioramas in the bottom are really good, but the best thing is the old school museum feel of the place. You can go on a weekday and walk right up to a lot of the displays.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The turret is a sheet metal replica
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes it was a target tank, but I can't remember where. The Dioramas in the bottom are really good, but the best thing is the old school museum feel of the place. You can go on a weekday and walk right up to a lot of the displays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the source of that information?  I cannot find anything online about the history of that tank, and I don't recall any of the docents talking about the tank being a target when I visited some time ago.  I'm ready to stand corrected if your assertion is verified.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What is the source of that information?  I cannot find anything online about the history of that tank, and I don't recall any of the docents talking about the tank being a target when I visited some time ago.  I'm ready to stand corrected if your assertion is verified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was from the curator when  I was there a few months back. He said where it came from (that I don't recall) but again its just word of mouth and without tracing the vehicle number history there is really no way to be sure. However, the hit dispersion on the tank does seems to follow that of other target armor that  I have seen pulled off ranges which is why I tend to believe his story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top