Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2015 10:11:58 AM EDT
As french snail eater and history fan, I had to defend the honor of my country on this forum. So, here's a summary that might make you change your mind

There were 53 major conflicts in Europe. France has been a belligerent in 49 of them, and the United Kingdom in 43 Among the battles that France has delivered over the past 800 years 185, armies have won 132 of them, and will lost 43, leaving only 10 battles undecided. Thus giving the French military's record of victories in Europe.

Check this link too : http://www.militaryfactory.com/battles/french_military_victories.asp

However , I like the french bashing, that's really fun to read.

Lev0'
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#1]
How about this one?  How did this one go?

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I could be more agree, this one isn't the best of all...Even if there is famous guy like Jean Moulin. For a lot of foreign people, the WW2 period represents all the French military history and it's not the reality.

Lev0'
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be more agree, this one isn't the best of all...Even if there is famous guy like Jean Moulin. For a lot of foreign people, the WW2 period represents all the French military history and it's not the reality.

Lev0'
View Quote

I don't think it's so realistic weighing ancient wars and regional skirmishes as representational, compared to an Entire World War with more modern industrialized warfare - where you get your ass handed to you by a peer-level nation.  Japan has a bigger military budget than France.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Ceci est un tag.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I just blew tea out my nose.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As french snail eater and history fan, I had to defend the honor of my country on this forum. So, here's a summary that might make you change your mind

There were 53 major conflicts in Europe. France has been a belligerent in 49 of them, and the United Kingdom in 43 Among the battles that France has delivered over the past 800 years 185, armies have won 132 of them, and will lost 43, leaving only 10 battles undecided. Thus giving the French military's record of victories in Europe.

Check this link too : http://www.militaryfactory.com/battles/french_military_victories.asp

Lev0'
View Quote

I have incredible respect for Napoleon as the man was a genius.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lev0'

Never forget these guys too :  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_du_Motier,_Marquis_de_Lafayette

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Joseph_Paul_de_Grasse
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
M. Lev0 is correct in that there is a great heritage.  To add to the great military names associated with France: Marechal de Saxe, Marechal de Vauban, Colonel du Picq (even though his idees were horribly misapplied during WWI).

L'Empereur had some great skills, but he also benefitted from the levee en masse to provide the manpower for his wars.  

Modern day soldats are kicking Islamist cul in Afrique.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#9]
More recently, you can add Marcel Bigeard (1916-2010), he started as a resistant during WW2 and finish his glorious carreer as a General de corps d'armée (4 stars). He was the most decorated soldier in the French history. General Petraeus was inspired by his book  (les centurions) to establish a part of the strategy in Iraq. His most famous battle was that of Dien Bien Phu. It was a defeat, but if you find an english article on this battle, I recomended you read. It's was "Badass".

Lev0'
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#10]
You are but one in along line of French posters who have tried to fit in here.

If you are going to last, you have to learn to filter out the often overwhelming derp and focus in on the posters who are worth a shit. This will vary by subject.

If you don't spend you time echoing populist sentiment, however ill-informed, you will be mocked. You will be stalked. You will be accused of all sorts of things. But, you will be appreciated by many others here, if you can stick it out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
More recently, you can add Marcel Bigeard (1916-2010), he started as a resistant during WW2 and finish his glorious carreer as a General de corps d'armée (4 stars). He was the most decorated soldier in the French history. General Petraeus was inspired by his book  (les centurions) to establish a part of the strategy in Iraq. His most famous battle was that of Dien Bien Phu. It was a defeat, but if you find an english article on this battle, I recomended you read. It's was "Badass".

Lev0'
View Quote

Bigeard's career started years before his time with the Resistance. He initially enlisted with an infantry unit on the Maginot Line during the inter-war years. At any rate, a remarkable individual and worthy of great respect.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The French are a very accommodating people.

Why they were thoughtful enough to plant trees along the Champs Elysee, so that the next invading German army can march through Paris in the shade!
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The French are a very accommodating people.

Why they were thoughtful enough to plant trees along the Champs Elysee, so that the next invading German army can march through Paris in the shade!
View Quote

Why did the Germans plant trees along Unter den Linden in Berlin?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
French folks and France as a whole are pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Giving the French a hard time about WWII is pretty disingenuous considering their sacrifices in WWI. If anything, we should give the Brits a hard time since their greatest culinary contribution is fish n chips and they try to write off our contributions to the World Wars as a bunch of Johnny-come-latelys.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
OP,

What part of France are you from?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Alot of folk around here tend to forget that if it wasn't for the French, our Revolution would have failed miserably, and we'd probably still be a British colony up until the early 1900's. Hell, they bankrupted themselves helping us.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Giving the French a hard time about WWII is pretty disingenuous considering their sacrifices in WWI. If anything, we should give the Brits a hard time since their greatest culinary contribution is fish n chips and they try to write off our contributions to the World Wars as a bunch of Johnny-come-latelys.
View Quote

Try?  British Military Historians have been doing this for generations.  Max Hastings can barely hide his disgust for America in his books.  The only British authors who attempt to stay neutral in his writings is Keegan and his disciple Beevor.    
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I worked with a bunch of French troops in Beirut.  I'd fight with them anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I worked with a bunch of French troops in Beirut.  I'd fight with them anywhere.
View Quote

Met quite a few in Iraq.

I'd stand by them any day
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP,

View Quote

I'm from Toul ( General Bigeard hometown ), it's in the NE of France. Near to the "Ligne Maginot" (Maginot line in english ?) / Verdun / Hagenau / Bastogne. For a american history fan, it's a good region to travel, there is a ton of Fort, bunker, cimetery FR/US/DE/UK. And the food is just awesome.

Some friends of mine have work with Us troups in Afghanistan and Irak. They told me they will go back on the field with them without hesitation.

Lev0'
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm from Toul ( General Bigeard hometown ), it's in the NE of France. Near to the "Ligne Maginot" (Maginot line in english ?) / Verdun / Hagenau / Bastogne. For a american history fan, it's a good region to travel, there is a ton of Fort, bunker, cimetery FR/US/DE/UK. And the food is just awesome.

Some friends of mine have work with Us troups in Afghanistan and Irak. They told me they will go back on the field with them without hesitation.

Lev0'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

Lev0'

I've been to Central & Southern France a few times (visited Bastogne on Operation Market Garden trip) so I'm wanting to go back into the area you live so I can visit some of the WWI battlefields & museums.  Do you have suggestions?

I think many Americans have preconceived notions about the French (I was one) until I visited your country and saw a different side which I enjoyed and have returned multiple times.  Paris is to France like NYC is to the US which does not represent the general populous so it is very refreshing going into the countryside.  Too bad the French don't speak English as well as other neighboring countries (which I think causes some of the culture rub).

Also, what is your opinion of the British?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I never travel in UK, so I can't tell how are the british "at home", but I met lot of british people in France, they are nice people, friendly. The foreigners that I frequent the most are American ( parent's firends in Florida Gainsville) and German ( I'm close to the border, 200km). German people are very nice, they talk a good english, drink a lot (like Frenchies) and are openmind. I've some friends who lives in US (Charlotte and Baton rouge) and they tell me to come in US for work but the the procedure bothers me a bit and my wife is always in university. Maybe one day...I really need to improve my English before

For you WWII / WWI trip, let's take a look to these places :

- American cimetery of Saint Avold (biggest US cimetery in Europe), I "visit" this cimetery in 2004 with my high school, it's very impresive and it's make you think about all these lives...
- Ouvrage maginot du Hackenberg (Veckring town 57920), it's a big big big bunker.
- Fort de Douaumont in Verdun. (155mm rotativ canon)
- Fort de Villey le sec ( système séré de rivieres ), it's not really a WW2 fort, but it's a good fort to visit.
- military museum of Phalsbourg
- museum of resitance and deportation in Thionville.

And a lot of other place, there is too many good place to visit...

Lev0'
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Explain, if you can, the biggest french asshole of all time, DeGaulle. Old two meters himself.

Eisenhower should have had that bastard drowned.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Explain, if you can, the biggest french asshole of all time, DeGaulle. Old two meters himself.
Eisenhower should have had that bastard drowned.
View Quote

De Gaulle was an asshole extraordinaire, but he was a smart and cunning asshole that had the best interests of his country at heart and led it deftly without it disintegrating through some of the most fractious times the country had seen. He and Ike got along famously, as opposed, for example, to Ike and Churchill, who frequently differed in opinion. This my opinion, but I believe de Gaulle was a more decent individual at his core, when the spotlight wasn't on him, then most of the rest of the Euro/NATO leaders of the time. In no way was his leadership spotless and criticism is certainly due, but he deserves much credit for what he did or did not as the situation required.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
The more I learn about WW1 the more respect I have for the French.  Holy cow did they take a beating...
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The more I learn about WW1 the more respect I have for the French.  Holy cow did they take a beating...
View Quote
This.  It would have been better without the whole mutiny thing but that would have been better without the whole trying to take out artillery shells, 8mm Mauser and barbed wire with a generation of young men thing.

French doctrine was all about attacking and essentially the offense hadn't caught up to the defense yet.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Well, there was this.

ILS NONT PAS PASSE

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top