Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 5:48:32 PM EDT
I was a 'tracker so this pic naturally caught my eye.  Looks like whatever happened was rough on the crew  Anyone know the story here?  The caption is "[...] hit near the Baghdad Highway Bridge in early April 2003."

Additionally, does anyone have a source of info on AAVs in Iraq?  And does anyone know if any AAVs made it to Afghanistan?  I know that's a stupid question what with Afghanistan being land-locked but I gotta' ask.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That picture has to be, what, twenty years old?  Still wearing woodland BDUs, no optics on the rifles, old style helmet. Desert Storm maybe?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That picture has to be, what, twenty years old?  Still wearing woodland BDUs, no optics on the rifles, old style helmet. Desert Storm maybe?
View Quote

Apr 2003 in Baghdad
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The Marines have a robust historical section.  Here are some links to publications they have produced on ops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/Pages/Publications/The_Afghanistan_War_2001_Present.aspx

https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/Pages/Publications/The_Iraq_War_2003_2010.aspx
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
IBA vs. Flak Vest. Early Iraq as noted.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also look at the inside of the rolled-up sleeve of the woodland camo garment, and the attached hood...it's a MOPP suit, not the regular operational uniform.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If I remember right, it was like 12 years ago, it was originally thought to be a near miss from a 155 round from 5/11 but later turned out to be a Iraqi 81-82mm round.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I remember right, it was like 12 years ago, it was originally thought to be a near miss from a 155 round from 5/11 but later turned out to be a Iraqi 81-82mm round.
View Quote

An 80mm mortar turned the driver's compartment of an AAV inside-out?

Bump for more info.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The above image is featured in this album, if that's helpful. Images appear to be sequential.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn we ain't that old yet!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top