Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2015 5:10:19 PM EDT

Arlington House to Washington City P.O. 20 APRIL 1861

Lt. Gen. Winfield Scott

Commd the Army

Gen

Since my interview with you on the 18th instant I have felt that I ought not longer to retain my commission in the Army.   I therefore tender my resignation, which I request you will recommend for acceptance.

It would have been presented at once, but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted all the best years of my life & all the ability I possessed.

During the whole of that time, more than 30 years, I have experienced nothing but kindness from my superiors, & the most cordial friendship from my companions.   To no one Genl have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness & consideration, & it has always been my ardent desire to merit your approbation.

I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me.   Save in the defence of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.

Be pleased to accept my most earnest wishes for the continuance of your happiness & prosperity & believe me most truly yours

R. E. Lee
Lee's letter was received on 22 APRIL 1861.

three days earlier, 17 APRIL 1861:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought Marsh Bob's hair was darker at the beginning of the war and it became white because of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Marse Robert's hair?

yep--prolly so.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't matter which side of the Macy-Dixie you're on, Lee had class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top