Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2015 8:50:25 PM EDT
They seem to have been at a number of key battles.  I'm just wondering how good they were.  Were they truly elite forces?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you got your answer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a military history nut, no quals beyond having read a lot. IIRC most books have mentioned the LLDN's(Seal analog) and Viet Rangers were good troops lead by abysmal officers. Their organizations also lacked a professional and dedicated NCO corps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a military history nut, no quals beyond having read a lot. IIRC most books have mentioned the LLDN's(Seal analog) and Viet Rangers were good troops lead by abysmal officers. Their organizations also lacked a professional and dedicated NCO corps.
View Quote

In Element of Surprise: Navy SEALs in Vietnam, author Darryl Young rated them as very competent and well motivated, in stark contrast to the majority of the ARVN forces. He did not comment on the officers that I recall.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The old SF veterans I served with in the 80's had very little to say good about ANY VN forces. They spoke highly of their 'Yards, Nungs, and Cambodian strikers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old SF veterans I served with in the 80's had very little to say good about ANY VN forces. They spoke highly of their 'Yards, Nungs, and Cambodian strikers.
View Quote

This is my understanding as well....
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never done much reading on Vietnam, but here is the first in a three part series about fighting with a group of Vietnamese Rangers:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/04/14/memories-of-vietnam-fighting-alongside-a-well-led-unit-of-vietnamese-rangers/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top