Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2015 9:16:16 PM EDT
Anyone recommend some accurate reading on the Irish troubles in the early 20th century?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A Secret History of the IRA  by Ed Maloney. I think I got it at Barnes & Noble. I've read a few books on the subject and this is my favorite. It's so detailed in fact that it can be a little dry to read.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I read this one from the British perspective.  A Long Long War by Ken Wharton.  It goes year by year during Operation Banner, the longest deployment of British troops in NI.  A damn good book.  Some parts are quite sad and the room got quite dusty when I read it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Or "The IRA A History" BY Tim Pat Coogan
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or "The IRA A History" BY Tim Pat Coogan
View Quote

Excellent read, but hot damn, is it dry.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If by early 20th you mean the Rising in 1916, and the Civil War soon after. I can get some titles for you out of my library.
The Troubles refer more to the late 60's  and into the early 80's I can find some good titles on that as well.

To get you going find a book titled "Paddy's Lament" that will give you a reference point.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Agony at Easter is a really good read about the Dublin uprising and situation at the GPO. It's written in a way that reads like a fiction novel but with actual researched oral histories. I'll have to go through some more of my stuff later if I get a chance. I did my thesis on the IRA and the background of Ireland and the early Irish groups were a big part of the modern IRA.
Agony at Easter

This one is good as well Armed Struggle:The history of the IRA

This is a really good movie that deals with the early Irish troubles: The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Good luck.....it is a very convoluted and complicated area of study.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top