Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2015 5:20:05 PM EDT
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/3223834/Stalin-planned-to-send-a-million-troops-to-stop-Hitler-if-Britain-and-France-agreed-pact.html

I have a feeling that Germany could have beaten that attack in the east.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Germany could not fight a two front war.  It would have indeed been a game changer.

Remember in 1939 the German tanks were relatively thin skinned. The Soviet AT rifles were capable of punching through.  The real question is whether the Luftwaffe was capable of beating back the Red Air Force and yet defend against the RAF and the French air force.  A coordinated attack ala Six Day War would have crushed Germany.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems to be not very credible.

From the article:

"Professor Donald Cameron Watt, author of How War Came - widely seen as the definitive account of the last 12 months before war began - said the details were new, but said he was sceptical about the claim that they were spelled out during the meetings.

"There was no mention of this in any of the three contemporaneous diaries, two British and one French - including that of Drax," he said. "I don't myself believe the Russians were serious.""

Also, it would have been unrealistic to expect the Poles to voluntarily allow the Red Army into their country.

"The new documents, copies of which have been seen by The Sunday Telegraph, show the vast numbers of infantry, artillery and airborne forces which Stalin's generals said could be dispatched, if Polish objections to the Red Army crossing its territory could first be overcome".

The Poles fought off the Soviets in 1919-1921 when they tried to take over Poland. Why on earth would they let the Soviets bring 1 million soldiers into their country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Soviet_War

"But the British and French side - briefed by their governments to talk, but not authorised to commit to binding deals - did not respond to the Soviet offer, made on August 15, 1939. Instead, Stalin turned to Germany, signing the notorious non-aggression treaty with Hitler barely a week later."

I find it highly unlikely that such an agreement would have been hammered out in one week.  Undoubtedly, the Soviets were negotiating with everyone they could in order to accomplish their goals of state security and communist expansion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top