Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2015 7:42:16 PM EDT
In a nutshell:
I was planning to build an American Longrifle this year. Then I had the idea that I'd like to identify a personal firearm of a founding father and build a replica as close to the original as I can. Besides Washington's English-import Hawkin pistols I haven't found any info regarding personal firearms of other founding fathers.

Anyone have any leads? I was hoping Adams, Madison, Jefferson, or other notable figure would have a personal firearm preserved in a museum somewhere but I can't find anything.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact someone at the NRA?  They have an extensive collection and an broad knowledge base.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact someone at the NRA?  They have an extensive collection and an broad knowledge base.
View Quote

That's a good idea. I've spent time on their museum website searching the exhibit records, but i haven't called and spoken to anyone.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Danial Morgan owned a  Pennsylvania Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Check with Monticello too.   Lots of their personal belongings, got split off to family members when the men died.

http://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/firearms

Adams
http://www.nps.gov/adam/index.htm

Enough spoon-feeding.  Time for you to become a historian and do some digging, yourself.   That is all part of the process.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Washington's rifle is in Louisville KY at a museum which name escapes me this moment.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Enough spoon-feeding.  Time for you to become a historian and do some digging, yourself.   That is all part of the process.
View Quote

Thank you (and everyone else) for the tips. Thank you also for the poke about educating myself. I respect that advice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you (and everyone else) for the tips. Thank you also for the poke about educating myself. I respect that advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not be as critical as all that.  Certainly research can be a demanding, if sometimes fun, part of history---- yet there is a lot of corporate knowledge here on arfcom.  Sometimes it is good to take a long shot to see if there is an expert in a particular subject here.  Also, this is a discussion board, and I, for one, am glad to see people bring up topics.  The topics usually give me a chance to learn new things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top