Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:09:14 AM EDT
Does anyone know which pistols were used by Henry Bailey (Gold, USA); Vilhelm Carlberg (Silver, Sweden); Lennart Hannelius (Bronze, Finland) in the 1924 Paris Olympic Games?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone know which pistols were used by Henry Bailey (Gold, USA); Vilhelm Carlberg (Silver, Sweden); Lennart Hannelius (Bronze, Finland) in the 1924 Paris Olympic Games?
View Quote

Have you contacted the historians at the Olympic Committee?  They might have pictures of the event at least.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you contacted the historians at the Olympic Committee?  They might have pictures of the event at least.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, I'll try that avenue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry you could not find results here.

Have you looked at newspaper archives?  Perhaps there was an article on the shooting events.

wiki list of online newspaper archives
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll start looking my special area of interest is the36 Olympics

Shooting in the pistol section of the Olympic Pentathlon competition, from right to left is Sdt. Griessler of Austria, Capt. John Walker of Great Britain, and Hauptmann Scriber, on February 1, 1948, in St. Moritz, Switzerland. (AP Photo/Green)

my walther olympia Schnellfeuer (Rapid Fire): Cal.22 Kurz  as far as I know this is the only one in the US only 25 were made the serial no ending with an O means it was meant for the 36 Olympic competition.

M1936 Olympia II that won five Gold Medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics and effectively ended the Olympic reign of the Colt Woodsman Target model

based on my knowledge this is the most likely candidate for all 3 competitors questioned.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure op knows this but for everyone else

The career marine, Henry Bailey was a gunnery sergeant during the 1924 Olympics but rose to the rank of chief warrant officer before his Marine retirement in 1947. He enlisted in the marines in 1910 and immediately established himself as one of their top marksmen. He was awarded the U.S. Marine Corps Distinguished Pistol Shooting award in 1921 and Distinguished Marksman award in 1929. Several times he competed on marine shooting teams which won national championships. At the 1924 Olympics, Bailey won his gold with a display of steel nerves. He tied for first place with Wilhelm Carlberg of Sweden and neither missed a shot through six shoot-off strings. On his seventh string, Bailey’s pistol jammed but with an instant reaction he reached for the slide with his free hand, cleared the jam, and fired off five perfect shots – all within eight seconds. This performance so unnerved Carlberg that the Swede missed two shots and Bailey had his gold medal.

he won the 25 meter rapid fire event.  with a score of 18
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you ever find the answer?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I called a fried at the USMC museum Parris island he said he could not confirm but that colt woods man targets were the most likely they were what the usmc pistol team used at that time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
This was the only pistol event in the 1924 Olympics. The shooters fired from 25 metres, with the targets exposed for 10 seconds for each series. Only hits on target were scored. Each shooter fired three strings of six shots, for an 18 possible. Eight shooters fired perfect scores. Tie-breakers consisted of single strings of six shots, with the time reduced to 8 seconds. All eight scored possibles in the first tie-breaker. In the second tie-breaker, three shooters were eliminated. Three more tie-breakers eliminated one shooter each time, leaving [Henry Bailey] of the USA and [Vilhelm Carlberg] of the Sweden to shoot-off for the gold medal. They again went clean in the next tie-breaker. In the final tie-breaker, Bailey’s .22 autoloader malfunctioned, when the bullet failed to eject after the first shot. But he reached out with his other hand and removed the casing, and managed to get off five more successful hits on target. Carlberg missed two shots during his string and the gold medal went to Bailey. The Swiss team withdrew because they could not afford the popular American-made weapons used by the winners, and their own material had too much recoil to be competitive in this event.
View Quote

If that helps at all?  EDIT: NVM I see you found something that also listed this

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/summer/1924/SHO/mens-rapid-fire-pistol-25-metres.html
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
In 1924 the Colt's Woodsman would be one of the only US made target .22 autos.  Now there's no guarantee he used a US made gun. There were semi autos in use by the Germans made by Walther back then as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top