Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2014 6:46:52 PM EDT
I'm looking for something really good to read about the vietnam war. I've read up a lot on the topic but i'm no where near as familiar with it as i'd like to be.

Ideally i'd like something from the Soldier's point of view, i.e. not a straight ref book, as i have a million and one of them, (and not just one guys account if at all possible).

I'm also interested in reading up on Australian and New Zealand involvement in the war especially their tactics, again from a boots on the ground or localized view not from a reference and overall objectives point of view.

I'd also like to finally get a decent book on bullpup rifles but i'm not sure such a book exists.

I realize that these broad subjects but any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Dispatches from Viet Nam is a good book.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dispatches from Viet Nam is a good book.
View Quote

Thanks i'll check it out
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It's fiction, but I would highly recommend "Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War" by Karl Marlantes.  He actually served there, and it's an incredible novel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Brothers.  It's the story of two blacks who were friends in boot camp.  They each went their separate ways but both ended up in Vietnam.  One earned the silver star.  His combined arms team was supposed to advance across a rice paddy to take a position from a NVA company.  They had already done recon by fire and one of the tanks was hit.  They didn't expect their assault to be successful.  Well, the black GI had  the M-60 and he broke the rules.  Instead of shot round bursts, he fired full auto at where ever he saw a machine gun.  His assistants kept giving him belts and other soldiers began running up to point out targets which he took out.  Instead of suffering heavy casualties themselves, he had inflicted numerous casualties on the NVA.  His gun fell apart as it became overheated and stuff flew out from it.  There are pictures of him getting his silver star in the book.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
They came out in the 90's, and are not much on the Aussie/NZ, but there is a 'series' on C company 75th Ranger (LRRP). Did I do that right?

It is very cool because 2-3 different authors wrote their own memoirs and they coincide with each other. That is, book A will cross paths with book B and you'll get the incident from a different perspective.

Blood on the Risers-John Leppleman. Might have first name wrong

Charlie Rangers-J. Rotundo??

Think there is 1-2 more. Titles are correct. Riveting reads.

On a slightly different note, The Walking Dead is an interesting first person account of the 9th Marine Division's early days in Vietnam. Good read because you get to see what it was like before we really realized what kind of war we were fighting. This was also the same time Dad was over there. Neat perspective.

I have several others if interested.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently read Blackhorse Riders and enjoyed it.  

http://www.amazon.com/Blackhorse-Riders-Desperate-Extraordinary-Mission/dp/B00BDHX862

Its a well written book with the 11th ACR riding in Sheridans and ACAVs to save the day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#7]
He's not published, except for on this site, but arfcom member Snake_driver has some good stories of his time in Vietnam.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1605475_Best_of_Snake_driver_s_Vietnam_Cobra_Tales.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#8]
couple of thoughts to get you started....

Grey Ghosts

On patrol with the SAS

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#9]
really good, but out of print....

The Vietnam scrapbook second adventure
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
"Ringed In Steel" by Michael Mahler is a decent read about armored warfare in the `67-`68 time-frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top