User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WWII aviation.

Almost exclusively the European/Mediterranean/North Africa/Eastern Fronts. Trying to collect or get my hands on every worthwhile book on the subject but, mainly, memoirs and biographies of pilots. I just never get tired of reading about it and I hope to write a book someday. I really want to take a more quantitative look at US/British fighter pilots compared to Luftwaffe Jagdflieger pilots. Training, mentality, equipment, the whole shebang. What made Allied pilots what they were and what made German pilots what they were.

Also read a lot on Late Republican Rome, especially the Legions and leaders starting with the Marian reforms and ending with Actium.

Enjoy Medieval history but it can be pretty nebulous. It can be difficult to find books/studies dedicated to one century or time period in particular.

I love reading.
View Quote

What are your initial thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
World War 1.  Two gets all the glory.  1 altered the world more IMO, cost more military lives according to most and was fought in a comparatively tiny area.  The concentration of firepower was unimaginable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Evening! Your geographic focus is excellent....the Med is under appreciated, so is the Crimean campaign. I find North Africa a superior field of study.....the Wehrmacht under Rommel was known to suspend artillery bombardment at British tea time.

My WWII War library includes the recommended titles:

History Of United States Army Air Corps Operations In WWII

The United States Strategic Bombing Survey

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Evening! Your geographic focus is excellent....the Med is under appreciated, so is the Crimean campaign. I find North Africa a superior field of study.....the Wehrmacht under Rommel was known to suspend artillery bombardment at British tea time.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab203/WW2Historian/WWII%20library%20amp%20manuals_zpsodfixyvs.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

I see the Green Books, Morison's WWII naval history, and what looks like a bunch of old WWII-era TM/FMs.

Do you have the complete collection of USSBS books?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nice!

I see the Green Books, Morison's WWII naval history, and what looks like a bunch of old WWII-era TM/FMs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab203/WW2Historian/WWII%20library%20amp%20manuals_zpsodfixyvs.jpg

Nice!

I love ya!

You are the bomb.com! Sorry took so long to get back, was on the phone MST. The US Army In WWII is a complete set including map companion and all the photo volumes.

Also visible in red is History Of United States Marine Corps Operations in WWII and the difficult yet definitive and rarely seen 10 volume red and black books (lower left) History Of German Concentration Camp System in WWII by Christian Bernadac translated from the French in 1968. They are 10 separate titles rather than a single title for the entire work...have only seen it listed once.

Also found are Churchill's excellent 6 volume set, The Waffen SS in WWII, first editions of Paul Carell, Walter Lord, William L. Shirer, etc, The TM's and FM's include all the small arms weapons manuals, American & Japanese Ammunition manuals, Army cookbooks (very cool, we can make SOS for 70!), etc.

Sadly no, the USSBS is published in dozens of works and many self-indulgent weenies try to get $200 for a single folio. Crap, man. How am I supposed to get to the bottom of this war in one lifetime?!?

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
World War 1.  Two gets all the glory.  1 altered the world more IMO, cost more military lives according to most and was fought in a comparatively tiny area.  The concentration of firepower was unimaginable.
View Quote

I heartily disagree with that. WW1 set the stage for the second act, but WW2 changed everything everywhere.

Speaking of which, I've been reading more about the peripheries of WW2- North Africa, Middle East, CBI.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I heartily disagree with that. WW1 set the stage for the second act, but WW2 changed everything everywhere.

Speaking of which, I've been reading more about the peripheries of WW2- North Africa, Middle East, CBI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Soviet Union may have never existed to start the cold war, the Ottoman land may not have been divided like it was, etc. Well never know.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Soviet Union may have never existed to start the cold war, the Ottoman land may not have been divided like it was, etc. Well never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what yer gettin' at, and I don't necessarily disagree. Both were monumental and  hugely influential conflicts; I just believe WW2 was slightly moreso decisive in ordaining world events after its conclusion was long past.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Rome on the eve of empire

The Hundred Years War

The War of the Roses
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
In my humble opinion; unlike WWI which was the War To End All Wars and indeed saw the advent of machine gun slaughter, early aerial bombardment of cities and horrific WMD's (gas attacks), WWII merely:

resulted in over 100 million dead and over 250 million casualties.....

redrew the map of the world and impacted every country and peoples on earth....

changed warfare in 6 years from primitive mechanized cavalry to atomic combat....

evolved from biplanes used in many prewar air forces to early almost-ICBM's (V2's) with the "New York Rocket" under development....

restructured the worlds military, logistical supply chain and command structure.....

put 12 million Americans alone in uniform.....

resulted in at least 4 countries exceeding 20 million dead (Germany, Russia, China and Japan).....

created countless new manufacturing techniques, technological changed and food production methods.....

invented synthetic rubber, gas, plastics, fissile materials, etc.....

and on and on and on.......

also, created the trick question:

"Quick....how many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?"

"I don't know, it's never been tried"

Here is the 1940 Tour De France

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Roman Republic and Roman Empire.

Although I wish I knew more about Archaic Greece and the Mycenaean Civilization.  The Mycenaean disappearance in history seems like a real great mystery.  Did the Sea People wipe them out? Who the heck were the Sea People? Atlantis?  

I mostly enjoy Roman history, because it is well fairly well documented and I have great admiration for them in terms of what they accomplished. I often wonder what would have happened if Rome had never declined, but instead kept growing stronger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Roman Republic and Roman Empire.

Although I wish I knew more about Archaic Greece and the Mycenaean Civilization.  The Mycenaean disappearance in history seems like a real great mystery.  Did the Sea People wipe them out? Who the heck were the Sea People? Atlantis?  

I mostly enjoy Roman history, because it is well fairly well documented and I have great admiration for them in terms of what they accomplished. I often wonder what would have happened if Rome had never declined, but instead kept growing stronger.
View Quote

They may have ended up being the ones to colonize the Americas, and the U.S might be speaking Latin today, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The Warring States Period of Japan = So many colorful characters, alliances, back-stabbings, ideologies going on; also the height and essential end of massive Samurai warfare.

Post Civil War - 1930's = Again, its all the colorful characters. From the anti-hero's, Jesse James - Charles Luciano; to the law-men, Wyatt Earp - Elliot Ness
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Napoléon between 1804-1821
WWI - WWII

Lev0'
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WWI - WWII

Lev0'
View Quote

Napoleon's military campaigns is definitely a history I want to read more about. Seems like in his youth he was an innovator, but as he grew older was a little less so.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Napoleon's military campaigns is definitely a history I want to read more about. Seems like in his youth he was an innovator, but as he grew older was a little less so.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WWI - WWII

Lev0'

That seems to happen to a lot of folks.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top