Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2014 8:10:55 PM EDT
It is said that the American Civil War started in his front yard and ended in his front parlor.

The initial engagement on July 21, 1861 of what would become the First Battle of Bull Run took place on McLean's farm, the Yorkshire Plantation, in Manassas, Prince William County, Virginia...

...He decided to move because his commercial activities were centered mostly in southern Virginia and the Union army presence in his area of northern Virginia made his work difficult. He undoubtedly was also motivated by a desire to protect his family from a repetition of their combat experience. In the spring of 1863, he and his family moved about 120 miles (200 km) south to Appomattox County, Virginia, near a dusty, crossroads community called Appomattox Court House.

On April 9, 1865, the war revisited Wilmer McLean. Confederate General Robert E. Lee was about to surrender to Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant. He sent a messenger to Appomattox Court House to find a place to meet. On April 8, 1865, the messenger knocked on McLean's door and requested the use of his home, to which McLean reluctantly agreed. Lee surrendered to Grant in the parlor of McLean's house, effectively ending the Civil War.[2] Later, McLean is supposed to have said "The war began in my front yard and ended in my front parlor".
View Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmer_McLean

Was watching a civil war documentary, and somehow was unaware of this amazing fact.

Post interesting civil war info as you see fit (I know neva bin dun befo)
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Psst.  The McLean house in Appomattox is actually a recreation built by the National Park Service. The original house was dismantled for a road show and left to rot in pieces.  So, thank you NPS.  It's my favorite thing about the the Federal Government (and I also like the Military History Institute at Carlisle Barracks, the National Archives & The Library of Congress).
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Psst.  The McLean house in Appomattox is actually a recreation built by the National Park Service. The original house was dismantled for a road show and left to rot in pieces.  So, thank you NPS.  It's my favorite thing about the the Federal Government (and I also like the Military History Institute at Carlisle Barracks, the National Archives & The Library of Congress).
View Quote

I've found the vast majority of what the NFS or NPS say is somewhere between misleading and dead wrong.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The NPS does not operate in a bubble.  Politics affects how they say or do things.  I've been on several ranger led tours and it does conform to what I've read.  One of the more interesting ones was around the Seven Days Battle.  It was explained that Jackson's performance was subpar because: (1) He had no maps; (2) he had incompetent guides; (3) he was exhausted (sleep deprived) from all the marching and meetings.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
They stole his parlor table too!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Virtually everything was stolen by the Union officers in attendance.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damned carpet baggers!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you know that George Washington started the war of 1812?

Some people are just fated to be part of history.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought the American Civil War started when Confederate troops fired on fort Sumter. Guess all those History of the South textbooks got it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:02:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know who wound up taking the 'surrender table' home and giving it to his wife?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top