Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2013 12:14:00 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good book focused on the Marines in Guadalcanal during WWII?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a good book focused on the Marines in Guadalcanal during WWII?

Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.amazon.com/Guadalcanal-Marines-World-Pictorial-Tribute/dp/0760331480/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371825641&sr=8-4&keywords=guadalcanal

Having spent quite some time on Guadalcanal myself, it is a very interesting place!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Goodbye Darkness by William Manchester.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the best war memoirs of all time along with E.B. Sledge's "With The Old Breed".
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of the best war memoirs of all time along with E.B. Sledge's "With The Old Breed".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

seconded
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

seconded
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

seconded

Reread Machester's book last summer along with Sledge's book, damn good reads.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Guadalcanal, Richard B. Frank.
Not strictly an account of the marines but it is a very comprehensive account that deals with the whole picture, marines, navy, army, air, and some insight into what the Japanese were doing.

Excellent book.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
My father in law was a rifleman with headquarters Co. G-2-5 on Guadacanal.  he thought that Guadacanal: Starvation Island was one of the best.

There is a book called  My Farhers War by Peter Richmond that is a intriguing look at where his father was in WWII starting with Guadacanal.  Interestingly he was CO of Headquarters Co. G -2-5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top