Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2013 12:43:36 AM EDT
I'm just curious, did the Germans build / have laborers build the huge concrete machine gun bunkers at Normandy or were these french defensive positions that were already there the Germans took over ? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Look up TODT. It will give you most of your answers.

The French rarely did things that would adversely effect their liberation.  Yes Frenchmen were involved but it was a minority.

The 352nd lived and died in TODT bunkers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
German.  The French concentrated their defensive efforts along the Maginot Line.  They weren't worried about a German amphibious invasion.  France had a larger fleet (1 battleship, 2 battleships capable of defeating the Scharnhorst class, more heavy cruisers and light cruisers) and wasn't worried about Perfidious Albion invading them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm just curious, did the Germans build / have laborers build the huge concrete machine gun bunkers at Normandy or were these french defensive positions that were already there the Germans took over ? Thanks

The Germans did it I was at Point Du Hoc a few years ago and the intricate system of tunnels,bunkers,,observation post,cannon emplacements is pretty impressive.
So is the bombardment the area took because after 70 years the place still has huge craters all around it and most of the emplacements are still standing!
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Since your interested in the topic you should check out the "beast of Omaha beach". Crazy stuff
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I recall in "The Trail of the Fox" that a lot of the defenses in France were made by the French citizen. Their paid wages were actually the highest of the paid laborers. They very much appreciated the business and the money. I don't know if the bunkers themselves were built by the French though. I would think not as its not something I would entrust to a civilian as opposed to getting the soldiers themselves to build it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The hands on labor was almost all civilian.  Or semi-civilian.  The line could be rather vague in Nazi Germany.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Since your interested in the topic you should check out the "beast of Omaha beach". Crazy stuff

this is about the one German who ran his MG-42 for hours isnt it ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is about the one German who ran his MG-42 for hours isnt it ?

correct. wiki claims he shot over a thousand men
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot which book I read it in, but the French also poured scarce sugar into the concrete.  It made the concrete brittle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
germas built them using soviet labor mostly
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]
There is an old B movie about a work crew who were trapped inside a fully stocked underground bunker and lived there for almost 4 years.  Some of the men went mad.  Some committed suicide.  Some went blind.  The title escapes me.  Sub standard flic but amazing story none the less.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out Nazi Mega Weapons on PBS. There is everything you want to know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
PBS has had a series on lately, forget the name, but it has focused on nazi engineering achievements. One was on the sub pens at L'Orient and the other was on the Atlantic Wall and the fortifications with an emphasis on the emplacements at Omaha Beach. Well done and very informative.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Googled it (duh), Nazi mega weapons is the name of the series.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The Atlantic Wall (German: Atlantikwall)

Organisation Todt, which had designed the Siegfried Line (Westwall) along the Franco-German border, was the chief engineering group responsible for the design and construction of the wall's major fortifications. Thousands of forced laborers were impressed to construct these permanent fortifications along the Dutch, Belgian and French coasts facing the English Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDlMOYE19F8
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://thomoshole.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/wwii438.jpg

They made a movie about it, the title is "My Way", its on netflix, and it's actually really good.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told a story similar to this by a polish friend of my grandparents. He went from the Polish military, then into the German military, then later on ended up with the Russians until the end of the war. Afterwards he moved to the states and joined the air force. I don't know how true his story is but it was entertaining to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They made a movie about it, the title is "My Way", its on netflix, and it's actually really good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the recommendation;I'll have to look it up!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Atlantic Wall (German: Atlantikwall)

Organisation Todt, which had designed the Siegfried Line (Westwall) along the Franco-German border, was the chief engineering group responsible for the design and construction of the wall's major fortifications. Thousands of forced laborers were impressed to construct these permanent fortifications along the Dutch, Belgian and French coasts facing the English Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDlMOYE19F8
View Quote

Yea Erwin Romel was in command of the "atlantic wall" after he left North Africa if i recall.  He increased the fortifications but missed the big show because he went to see his family.  If he was on site and had mobilized the rezerve panzer units things might have been a lot different.  Thankfully he was absent and their leader was napping...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Forgot which book I read it in, but the French also poured scarce sugar into the concrete.  It made the concrete brittle.
View Quote

It seems that for this one lacks a little sugar

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting book on the subject: Hitler's Atlantic Wall by Anthony Saunders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top