Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2013 2:26:18 PM EDT
http://www.schoonmaker.talkingrelics.com/

I recently finished this website and thought some of you might wish to visit it.  Schoonmaker served in the 302nd Engineers, 77th Division in France.  If for nothing else the photos, maps and a link to a vid of the 302nd digging trenches are seldom seen.  

Ora Schoonmaker married late in life and had no children, I just don't want to see the old boy forgotten.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty cool.

It was interesting reading all the things they had to carry.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Pretty cool.

It was interesting reading all the things they had to carry.

Thank you and yeah, that was insane what those men were required to carry in the attack of that last campaign.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I recently finished this website and thought some of you might wish to visit it.  Schoonmaker served in the 302nd Engineers, 77th Division in France.  If for nothing else the photos, maps and a link to a vid of the 302nd digging trenches are seldom seen.  

Ora Schoonmaker married late in life and had no children, I just don't want to see the old boy forgotten.

Great site and interesting photos. Nice to see that old warriors are not forgotten!
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
A very well done history of he 302n Engineers.  

Do you have any more information on Mr Schoonmaker himself?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for checking out the site.  The search for information on Corporal Schoonmaker continues.  I just learned two weeks ago that Morning Reports exist in ST. Louis, that is where I will concentrate next.  I have left messages on Schoonmaker genealogy boards etc.  I would love a photo of the man, maybe I'll get lucky!

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you all for checking out the site.  The search for information on Corporal Schoonmaker continues.  I just learned two weeks ago that Morning Reports exist in ST. Louis, that is where I will concentrate next.  I have left messages on Schoonmaker genealogy boards etc.  I would love a photo of the man, maybe I'll get lucky!
View Quote

How has the search for new information gone?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent to St. Louis last year for information a few months after your prior post but never received a response.  Your post today got me off my arse, I downloaded another form and it will go out in Monday's mail.  Every couple of months I Google both Ora, 302nd Engineers and have eBay alerts for anything associated with the 302nd but no luck so far.  I may have to engage a professional researcher for the next step.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Six months after submitting my 2nd request for Cpl. Schoonmaker's military records, I received a response today.  The only record to have survived the "fire" is a "Final Pay Voucher" which doesn't supply much information but I will send my $25 and get what I can get.  Perhaps it will lead me to another clue in this soldier's life story.  I had high hopes of information found by "Morning Reports" but no such luck.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Six months after submitting my 2nd request for Cpl. Schoonmaker's military records, I received a response today.  The only record to have survived the "fire" is a "Final Pay Voucher" which doesn't supply much information but I will send my $25 and get what I can get.  Perhaps it will lead me to another clue in this soldier's life story.  I had high hopes of information found by "Morning Reports" but no such luck.  
View Quote

That is too bad the information has been lost.  Hopefully, you can get the data elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#10]
You can always contact the appropriate state and request a copy of his statement of service card.  It will have minimal information on him, but its a start.  They would have gone to the State Adjutant General after WWI, but many have now been moved to the state archives.

From what I was told by a professional USAF historian friend of mine, they are still going through the records that survived the great fire at the NPRC and putting them back together.  He told me to put in a request at least once a year or every two years to see if anything new has turned up.

My GG-Uncle was in Co A, 307th Infantry of the 77th Division (He died of his wounds on Oct 19, 1918)   I've done a lot of research on the 77th, specifically on the 307th.  I've got several books on the 77th and i'll see if Cpl. Schoonmaker's name pops up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You can always contact the appropriate state and request a copy of his statement of service card.  It will have minimal information on him, but its a start.  They would have gone to the State Adjutant General after WWI, but many have now been moved to the state archives.

From what I was told by a professional USAF historian friend of mine, they are still going through the records that survived the great fire at the NPRC and putting them back together.  He told me to put in a request at least once a year or every two years to see if anything new has turned up.

My GG-Uncle was in Co A, 307th Infantry of the 77th Division (He died of his wounds on Oct 19, 1918)   I've done a lot of research on the 77th, specifically on the 307th.  I've got several books on the 77th and i'll see if Cpl. Schoonmaker's name pops up.
View Quote

Very cool thank you!  My domain provider and I are exchanging emails over my just this week expired domain so give it a week if you haven't been to the site.  http://www.schoonmaker.talkingrelics.com/

I have a book on the 302nd Engineers and has a company photo but no names attached to any of the men.  I can see one man with cpl. chevrons though so amongst friends I call him Schoonmaker.  

Great advice on resubmitting the information for records.  I often recheck the web from time to time and it is amazing what pops up after a few months time.  Do you have any artifacts from your GG-Uncle's service?  The 77th was heavily involved and what a shame your kin passed with just a month to go.  Again, thanks for your reply and offer to "look" for Ora.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Was Ora's middle initial S, for Simpson?  If so, i've got a copy of the form he filled out when he registered for the draft. Send me a PM with your email address and i'll send it to you.   I'm also a genealogist, and I found a couple more things on him with a quick search.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything from my GG-Uncle. I don't even have a picture of him.  I do have a picture of the 307th Infantry, taken at Camp Upton before they left for France.  He's in there somewhere.

From what i've been able to piece together, my Great-Grandfather had a break with his mom and step dad during the Great Depression.  He was also a very closed mouth man, so there's no stories that came down from him about his brother.  When I started my sleuthing, all I knew was that my GG-Uncle was killed in France during WWI and is buried there.

My first stop was the American Battle Monuments Commission.  I wrote them a letter and received back information on his unit, when he died and where he was buried.  Since I now definately knew what state he was from, a got a copy of his statement of service card from the State of New York.   Since he was a casualty, I also got a copy of his burial case file which is where I learned that he died of his wounds in a Red Cross Hospital in Paris.  Unfortunately, the NPRC said his records were destroyed, so I don't know when he was wounded or where.  The National Archives has all the reports and returns from the 307th, but they aren't on line so I would have to go and do research in person.  Maybe one day....
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#15]
dreiwhit,

Appreciate your assistance greatly.  On my site I have a photo of the house where Ora lived in NYC with his sister's family and his mother before the war.  Copies of his WW II draft card and a photo of the house he lived in after getting married.  

You may contact me at.  Thanks again.

[email protected]

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#16]
My web site is still not up.  Problems with my host and domain provider.  If I lived in Houston, I'd be making a personal visit.

Received the last pay records of Corporal Ora. Simpson Schoonmaker.  Not much information but some and every little bit helps to tell the story.

On September 29, 1917, two days before reporting to induction/training camp at Camp Upton, New York, Ora was paid $48.00.  $6.50 was deducted for insurance premiums and another $20.00 was allotted  from his check but it doesn't say to where.  I must conclude that money was sent to his mother living at his sister's house.  Ora received $21.50 out of his pay of $48.00

On Saturday the 12th of May, 1919,
the regiment was paid off and the men discharged from service.  By 6:00
p.m., the regiment ceased to exist with the majority of men catching the
trains back into New York City.

Schoonmaker had on account, $60.00 in "Deposits", $11.35 in "Travel Pay" with "Total Credits" of $92.85 which was paid to him. Corporal  Schoonmaker's war was finally over.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Back on line as of today.  I need to add the latest information regarding pay and will do so in the next few days.  Thank you all for your patience.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top