Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2013 10:43:20 PM EDT
I'm currently reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and am thinking of reading this book next. Has anyone read The Great Terror by Robert Conquest?  What did you think of the book? Any other suggestions on this topic?
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm currently reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and am thinking of reading this book next. Has anyone read The Great Terror by Robert Conquest?  What did you think of the book? Any other suggestions on this topic?

Yes, I've read it and it is a good and horrifying look at Stalin and his methods.

Also read The Harvest of Sorrow by Robert Conquest, on the Ukrainian terror famine of 1931-33.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you find his sources and research to hold up to scrutiny?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Conquest has good sources.  He wrote Harvest of Sorrow before the Soviet archives were opened up, and his research then has been totally vindicated by the flood of information since.

I think the first version of The Great Terror was also written before 1991, and then more data that had become available since 1991 was added to the updated version.  I don't think that anything that was in the first version was invalidated.

Conquest was called many foul names for his anti-Soviet books during the Cold War, but he has largely been proved correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Conquest#The_Great_Terror

After the opening up of the Soviet archives in 1991, detailed information was released that Conquest argued supported his conclusions. When Conquest's publisher asked him to expand and revise The Great Terror, Conquest is famously said to have suggested the new version of the book be titled I Told You So, You Fucking Fools.[6] In fact, the mock title was jokingly proposed by Conquest's old friend, Kingsley Amis. The new version was published in 1990 as The Great Terror: A Reassessment (ISBN 0-19-507132-8).

Some 'revisionist' critics have argued that examination of archives following the USSR's collapse in 1991 challenge many of Conquest's statements.[7] Although some aspects of his work continue to be disputed by those on the left, he is often regarded as having been vindicated by history. Michael Ignatieff wrote "One of the few unalloyed pleasures of old age is living long enough to see yourself vindicated. Robert Conquest is currently enjoying this pleasure."[9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks again!
View Quote

Did you end up reading the book?

Was it a worthwhile read?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top