Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2001 11:45:34 AM EDT
I read on a another area of the forum that the laws recently changed regarding Pre-ban AWs registered in California back in 1990? What the goverment or attorney general did was re-write the law so even if you registered your AR by the 1990(?) deadline your still a violator because those AWs are now illegal.

What is this all about and why didn't I hear about it. Was the guy who started this rumor misunderstanding the laws or is it correct.

I regsitered my preban stuff back in 1990 or whenever the first deadline was, I haven't registered then ever again since DOJ said I didn't have to. What's the real scoop on this crap!

Link Posted: 1/25/2001 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a confabulation.

Any firearm that was registered as an AW under the original Roberti-Roos law is still registered, still legal to own, and does not need to be re-registered.

The only possible exception to this is for people who registered during an extension that was authorized by then-AG Dan Lungren which ended in March 1992 and was later ruled by the courts to be illegal.  People who registered after the original R-R deadline, 12/31/91 IIRC, and the end of the extension have received a letter from the DoJ ordering them to turn in their firearms and offering to refund the registration fee.
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
California Kid,

The way you explained it is the way I understood the AWs law. I feel somewhat relieved for now.

I hate it when the rules change in the middle of a game.

Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top