Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2001 9:01:12 AM EDT
If I own a legal pistol lower with a 7" barrel can I legally put a car stock on it or does that make it a sbr? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:31:42 AM EDT
to legaly put a stock on a pistol the barrel lenght must be 16 inches or longer. Also by doing this at least on a AR you can never Irepeat NEVER make it back into a pistol unless its registred as a SBR One other thing to put a Car stock on a SBR the lower has to be pre ban/CB
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 12:22:59 PM EDT
Actually, as long as the lower started out as a pistol, you can put a 16" or greater barrel on it, and then put a stock on it, legally. Having done so, you can remove the stock, and again put a short barrel on it, as a pistol. Pistol can go to rifle configuration and back without a tax stamp. Rifle can't go to pistol. The collapsible stock on an SBR info is correct - but would only apply to a pistol with a long barrel and shoulder stock if collapsible stock is on the banned features list for a post-ban PISTOL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 8:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2001 9:09:17 PM EDT by Gothamer]
Call the ATF, NFA branch at 202-927-8330. Ask them the same question. The TRUTH will suprise you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:24:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gothamer: Call the ATF, NFA branch at 202-927-8330. Ask them the same question. The TRUTH will suprise you.
View Quote
I would suggest writing them. Why, documentation. That way if the ATF agent who said "bla, bla" is wrong, it's not his/their word against yours. It takes some time. My little bit. But to my understanding, a pistol can be changed into a rifle and back again (like making a 1911 rifle...16" barrel and then a stock...attatched in that order). But, the AR might be different....assuming could be a bad move.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 12:57:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2001 1:08:39 AM EDT by Circuits]
On going from pistol to stocked rifle and back without being subject to the NFA: [url]http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/rr_61203.txt[/url] And in particular, the relevant section:
Conversely, where one of the above described pistols has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, it is held not to be a "firearm," within the definition of 5848(1) of the Act, even though such weapon has an attached or attachable shoulder stock. With the shoulder stock attached such weapon is a rifle. When the shoulder stock is detached, such weapon is a pistol, and is deemed not to have been made from a rifle.
View Quote
Top Top