Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2001 4:10:01 PM EDT
Hi,

What exactly will the bill that was just passed do after 2003? I understand you need a fingerprint and some sort of proficiency test when buying the gun.

I heard elsewhere this will be actual 'licensing' to buy the gun.

Will these guns be any more 'confiscatable' than the ones I bought in the last year?

Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/2001bills.htm[/url]
Check the link to the DOJ site. They give a "laymans" summary of SB52 which is pretty easy to understand. The new license, which requires you to take a test from a DOJ certified instructor to get, replaces the old BFSC. And yes you will need one to purchase a handgun. It does not make the gun any more "confiscatable" than before since all (legal) handgun purchases have been registered in CA for quite some time now. Only a thumb print is required, not a whole set of finger prints. If you got a new drivers license in CA in the last couple years you gave them one then too.

Like so many other of the CA gun laws this will have little or no effect on crime and only infringes further on the rights of law abiding people to keep and bear firearms. The waiting period and one gun every thirty days laws do not change. Criminals will still buy their guns off the street where one needs no license or back ground check and the guns are not registered. It may make a difference in the successful suicide rate because now people so inclined will be "certified and licensed" on how to properly load and fire a handgun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
you'll prob have to demonstrate to state hired instuctors who have never held a fire arm before
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Why does Kalifornia alwas have to be different?  I would like to thank the Democommies in Kalifornia for now forcing auto makers to put on catillitac convertors on new Diesels!!!! emissions control, affirmative action (not sure you started it but you still use it), and the overwhelming sespool of democrats!  I understand that gun owners have almost no voice in Kalifornia but its about damn time you guys made a huge push there. No time like the present!
I don't hate all people from Kaifornia, I just feel bad for them for being so ignorant.  Please, for humanities sake, vote republican!

Keving67
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why does Kalifornia alwas have to be different?  ...affirmative action (not sure you started it but you still use it),...Keving67
View Quote

No, we didn't start Affirmative Action.

In fact we OUTLAWED it in the last general election.  It was a voters' initiative (not proposed by the Caliban), and passed with an overwhelming majority.

But the state is still practicing it anyway.  The University of Californistan is still giving preferential treatment to minorities in admissions and contracts.  So are many county and municipal governments.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
California_Kid, we have the same problem in Michigan with the college admissions.  Can't even get an application into UofM if you are white, have straight parents, and are christian.  It's ridiculous.  Thank God they are getting sued left and right now!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Skunkabilly,

There's another law that goes into effect on 1/1/02 which says that all firearms sold by an FFL in Cal., including private transfers, must be accompanied by a "firearms safety device."

There are some exceptions, like if you own a gun safe that meets DOJ standards, or if you show proof that you purchased an approved firearm safety device no more than 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm.

Here's a link to the DOJ website:

[url]caag.state.ca.us/firearms/fsdcertlist.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why does Kalifornia alwas have to be different?  I would like to thank the Democommies in Kalifornia for now forcing auto makers to put on catillitac convertors on new Diesels!!!! emissions control, affirmative action (not sure you started it but you still use it), and the overwhelming sespool of democrats!  I understand that gun owners have almost no voice in Kalifornia but its about damn time you guys made a huge push there. No time like the present!
I don't hate all people from Kaifornia, I just feel bad for them for being so ignorant.  Please, for humanities sake, vote republican!

Keving67
View Quote

actually you would have thank the feds for the California smog equipment for autos.  They gave the state certain acceptable smog limits or else they would withhold federal highway money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There's another law that goes into effect on 1/1/02 which says that all firearms sold by an FFL in Cal., including private transfers, must be accompanied by a "firearms safety device."

View Quote

The preferred "firearms safety device" would include ones *brain*, but apparently there are those lacking in this basic piece of equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top