Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 9:53:47 AM EDT
What are the steps to purchasing a full auto and overall cost except weapon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
find dealer,if dealer has weapon in stock pay for weapon (or put down depostiot), file out forms, get cleo sign off if non corperation, get fingerprinted for fingerprint cards, once forms filled out, send off with money for tax stamps, wait,still wait, forms come back, pick up weapon. go to range, have fun [:D] thats pretty much it in a nut shell

tax stamps are $200 for a machine gun, shortbarreled rifle/shotgun, suppressor and destructive device

$5  for any other weapons

if the weapon isnt in stock expect a fee to do the transfer into the state  
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the $200 tax stamp a one time shot? I was told that every year you have to pay like a maintainence fee. When having a CLEO sign off is that from your county or from county or city of purchase. Not sure if there is a class three here in Sioux Falls.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The $200 is a transfer tax.  You pay it when the gun transfers to you, and if you ever sell and transfer the gun, you pay it again.

The CLEO has to be from your county or city in which you reside.  It can't be from another city or county where you don't have legal residence.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Another question for you. Do you have to purchase the firearm from a class 3 dealer in your state or can you purchase it from a dealer in a neighboring state? The reason i ask is because i do not know of any class 3 dealers in my state but i do know of one right over the border in N.H. that i have purchased a couple rifles from in the past.

AR-ERIC
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Another question for you. Do you have to purchase the firearm from a class 3 dealer in your state or can you purchase it from a dealer in a neighboring state? The reason i ask is because i do not know of any class 3 dealers in my state but i do know of one right over the border in N.H. that i have purchased a couple rifles from in the past.

AR-ERIC
View Quote
if u purchase it from a dealr out of state it must first be transfered into a dealer in your state then transfered to u. try the subguns board for a listing for a class 3 dealer near you any one have the Url handy?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Recommended dealer list @ subguns.com-----
[url]http://www.subguns.com/c2c3/c2c3.htm[/url]

board of inquiry----
[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/inquiry.cgi[/url]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the $200 the only money that will be paid to the feds during ownership? Does it cost anymore for transfer fees to purchase from out of state since there is not any class 3's anywhere near?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the $200 the only money that will be paid to the feds during ownership? Does it cost anymore for transfer fees to purchase from out of state since there is not any class 3's anywhere near?
View Quote
the transfer tax is a once time tax on each weapon the transfer fee is whatever the dealer charges and how much  your willing to pay him
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the $200 the only money that will be paid to the feds during ownership?
View Quote

$200 tax paid to transfer the firearm to you on a Form-4.

Does it cost anymore for transfer fees to purchase from out of state
View Quote

Out of state seller may or may not pay tax to transfer to dealer, so you may be liable for that $200, then the transfer from the dealer to you, another $200. Cheaper to buy in state, person to person that way (only $200). Then you may have to "GREASE" your dealers palm, anything from $25-200 just to have him run it on his books if it comes from out of state.

since there is not any class 3's
anywhere near?
View Quote

If you are allowed to own a C3 item via your state/local law, you should be able to locate a C3 somewhere in your state to handle in out of state transfer into SD. I have a C3 3 minutes from me, but I am using a fella 1-1/2 hr away,
so I cannot understand your "since there is not any class 3's anywhere near."
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I cannot find a class 3 listed on Bowers. Also have checked a couple of local gun shops and know knows of a class 3. There use to be one about an hour away but is not in business any longer. Figured I would see the process and expense before I go see a dealer and find something I can't do without.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Post a question here then, if any SD readers there, they should be able to advise. The recommended dealer list comes from nominations on the "board of inquiry". May try there also.
[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi[/url]and [url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/inquiry.cgi[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
E-mail sent. I can help you out with info.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the assistance everyone. Have a Merry X-mas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top