Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 3:59:38 PM EDT
Is it possible to build a SBR on a self finished 80% project lower? Obviously it would have to be registered and tax stamp etc, but there would be no serial #? Any thoughts on this? And can a SBR ever be converted back into a 16" rifle? Say if you moved from a state that does allow SBR to one that doesn't? Or must you sell the SBR? Just curious to see if it's worth it. Thanks for input.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:12:32 PM EDT
You'd be required to put a serial number on an NFA lower, even if you built it from an 80%. Re-using the original serial number of an existing lower is just a time-saving/convenience step. If you later wish to remove the SBR from the NFA registry, you can do so by removing the short upper, and sending a letter to the NFA notifying them of the permanent alteration to non-NFA length, and requesting that the item be removed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:09:57 PM EDT
Keep in mind that an 80% receiver can only be legally configured in a post-ban configuration, so your SBR will be unable to have a collapsible stock, a flash suppressor, or a bayonet lug. [:(]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:35:24 PM EDT
Circuits, I am guessing that you would just make up a serial number? I guess it just seems a little different as "you" are the manufactuer and you would have to make up a serial #. Treetop, thanks for the reminder. Some people may not realize this. I don't necessarily need all those features on this project. Plus it is a lot cheaper this way over a pre-ban, and I get the satisfaction of building it. Be nice if they realized how little difference it makes to crime and public safety weather or not an AR has a bayo lug or flash hider.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:01:58 PM EDT
so what if you made this homemade reciever in 1989, and had a serial # and 1989 date stamped into the reciever. Could you build an sbr with pre-ban features?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:51:25 PM EDT
Yes. If the lower is pre-ban, you can build it into an SBR with pre-ban features once your NFA tax stamp on the Form 1 gets back to you from the ATF.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:57:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By locknload: so what if you made this homemade reciever in 1989, and had a serial # and 1989 date stamped into the reciever. Could you build an sbr with pre-ban features?
View Quote
if u truly made it pre 94 and it had enought parts on it to be considered a "assualt weapon" yes u could
Top Top