Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 10:44:09 AM EDT
I recently looked at a FAL for sale which had a two piece Smith muzzle brake.  It is a brake mounted onto an adapter then secured to the barrel.  The adapter (?) piece is silver soldered onto the barrel but the adapter is also threaded where the muzzle brake screws onto it and held tight with a nut.  The threading on that side however is not soldered or permanently attached in any way.  I assume the brake originally fit a gun with different threading and the adapter was used to fit it to the FAL barrel without rethreading it or the brake.  My question is it a legal configuration presently or must the adapter threads also be silver soldered to the MB?  The rifle is for sale and at a good price from a reputable individual and otherwise looks nice and has the required US parts count & pistol grip. Here is a quick diagram of what it looks like, thanks for the help.
[img]http://jeepmoto.tripod.com/brake.bmp[/img]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
of course if some body of does make a flashider with those threads you would have to weld the brake on
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just over at smith's site and couldn't find the item you were talking about. Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://www.smithenterprise.com/buy/_derived/muzzle_brakes.asp_txt_mb.gif[/img]

its the above brake under their muzzle brakes section.  I bought the gun anways (an SAR-4800) and asked the owner what about it.  Actually the adapter isn't even silver soldered.  I badgered him about it and he lowered the price a little, thats why I bought it.  The guy had cut the springfield brake off and got the adapter to match up the threading on the springfield and smith brake, since he didn't have the tools to cut and rethread the barrel.  The adapter was also a smith.  Unfortunately he didn't have the old brake since he cut messed it up taking it off.  I'm now debating on whether to use a brake with the right threading, cut and rethread for the smith brake, or solder up both the adapter and brake.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Have the barrel crowned and forget it. Crowned is more accurate.  My 2 pennies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top