Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2001 7:49:01 PM EDT
I just got a M-11 in with 2 32rnd mags and the dealer stated that he couldnt give them to me as Ohio laws forbids mags over 30rnds, he aggreed to let me ship them back to CMMG(plug) and im waiting for ATF approval to take my new toy home. The ? is can he do this? is this really the law in ohio?

jim
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell your dealer to shove it up his ASS. Can he read Ohio--ORC-2323.06,,,(B)(2)- "This section does not apply to a large capacity magazine which belongs to a firearm or which is possessed by the owner of a firearm which IS REGISTERED WITH THE FEDERAL AUTHORITIES UNDER THE NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT (26 U.S.C.A.  5801-5871).........Go to the Library and get the OHIO Revised Code Book,
Mail me the store name.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me clearify something before this gets out of hand...this wasnt a NFA weapon its just taking a little time to clear the check due to long lines, if this dosnt matter as its a pre-ban m-11 and the mags are mfg for it. let me know how to proceed. sorry for the confusion.

jim
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, it's legal to have the large cap magazine as long as you don't load over 31 rounds into it.  Crazy?  Yeah - but it's Ohio law.  Even a beta-c (100 round .223) magazine in OH, long as you don't put more than 31 in it while inside the state.

If you're getting a semi mac, just don't load more than 31, or it's then considered an illegal machinegun under Ohio law.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Dealer turned out to be one of the good guys, HE did some checking and let me know if I use them im in trouble, he didnt hold them, and "suggested that I pin/block/convert them to only hold 30rnds...ASPS" Its nice to have people worry less of them self and more of others. Most guys wouldnt have cared and made me send them back.
Thanks to all whom responded to my post.

jim
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a new one on me.

But I can still use them in my SMG M11/9 right?

Heli
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Morlock, didn't mean to "rock the boat", I mis-understood what you were trying to say. I took it as you were doing a "C3" transfer, you said "waiting for ATF approval", so I took it that way. Any way, I would assume don't load more than 30 + 1 in the pipe. I suppose you could fashion a block of plastic or whatever to take up space above the floor-plate, kinda like a "duck-plug " in a shotgun tube.

Did you find ATF downtown?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
AS A POLICE OFFICER IN OHIO, I LOOKED THIS QUESTION UP DURING A CONVERSATION. THE OHIO REVISED CODE DEFINES ANY FIREARM THAT CAN FIRE MORE THAN THIRTY ROUNDS IN SUCCESSION "A MACHINEGUN", WHETHER OR NOT IT'S FULL AUTO. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. IT'S ONE OF MANY UNENFORCEABLE LAWS. I HAVE NUMEROUS THIRTY ROUNDERS. SO DOES THAT MEAN A THIRTY ROUNDER PLUS ONE PLUS ONE IN THE CHAMBER MAKES MY AR "A MACHINEGUN"? OR A FIFTY ROUNDER IN A .22 ONE? BOTTOM LINE, NO ONE CARES AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SHOOT UP A SCHOOL OR ROB A BANK AND KILL SOMEONE WITH IT. HAVEN'T FOUND CASE LAW ON IT YET. JUST MY 2 CENTS.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Oops. sorry about the capital letters.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Also depends where in Ohio you refer to...

the City of Cincinnati has some stupid gun statutes such as any rifle that accepts a detachable mag is illegal  (by by 10/22 etc...)

any handgun that has capacity over 13 rounds illegal (9mm and under)
any handgun that has capacity over 7 rounds illegal (.45acp)... 40sw and 10mm curiously not mentioned....

talk about convaluted...Drive 15 minutes to the east and the local chief will sign Class3 paperwork if he likes you, in the city though your Glock 17 is illegal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top