Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2001 9:26:32 AM EDT
Does anyone know whether it is legal to use rifles or handguns out on the ocean? Is there a minimum distance from shore required? Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks!

Riptide
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots to look out for the Coast Guard in particular.  Leagaly, outside 12 NM (about 14 statute miles for you landlubbers) you are in international waters and the International Maritime Court rules.  If you are looking for recreational shooting you should be clean, it would get touchy only while travling back and forth to port.  Give your local Coasties a call, they should give you answers, if they give you a hard time instead of answers, let me know, I would like that info, names, rank, station number etc.
TRW
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Something to keep in mind during this whole plan.  If you take a firearm outside of the 12 mile limit, your illeagly exporting a firearm.  then if you bring it back in, your illeagly importing a firearm.  If the coastguard catches you on this, they will just wait for you to come back to terra firma.  It may get the fullest prosicution, it may not.  Just be aware of what is going on.  Aside from leaving the usa, I have no idea how that would work.  Keep it safe.

KAC
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Muldrake, on what do you base your statements. Wouldn't exporting and importing require that the weapon enter and leave another country.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you take a firearm outside of the 12 mile limit, your illeagly exporting a firearm.  then if you bring it back in, your illeagly importing a firearm.  If the coastguard catches you on this, they will just wait for you to come back to terra firma.  It may get the fullest prosicution, it may not.  
KAC
View Quote

That would make every shark fisherman I know a filthy law breaker! I find that hard to believe. Source?

Sherm
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Gotta agree with Sherm on this one, without looking at the law.  I would venture to guess that the "importation", "exportation" definitions include actually going to, or coming from another state, not just international waters.

But that's just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Its not an importation issue. Even if you transport the article to another country, it remains your personal property. Unless there is some kink, as long as the firearm was purchased in the United States, there is no issue. Anyone hunt in Canada? Did you export/import? Travel, overseas, often with firearms, hasnt been an issue. The Swiss are most civilized, try and avoid stopovers in England if possible.

There are allowances made for personal property transported beyond our borders, then returned. Had more trouble with cameras and electronics at customs, here and abroad. Ensure you can provide proof of origin (receipts) for anything that looks expensive. Otherwise things get kind of screwy if someone decides you should pay duty.

Could this be a problem, especially at present? Damn right. Seen too many third class functionaries make astounding leaps of logic based on incomplete or inaccurate understand of laws and/or regulations. Might not be the most prudent time to test this mate. Hate for someone to mistake you for a pirate.

Luck
Alac

Steve, is there a disclaimer posted? "Any information posted herein shall not be construed as legal advice..."etc? Just a thought, maybe I missed it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Steve, is there a disclaimer posted? "Any information posted herein shall not be construed as legal advice..."etc? Just a thought, maybe I missed it.
View Quote

No, there is not.  There are several lawyers who post here that do, in fact, give legal advice.  I'm one of them.  Most of the replies by members here are just opinions (such as my "guess" on this thread).  However, I often dish out advice on legal issues that touch on my areas of practice.

Why do you ask?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a guess, but in International Waters won't regisrty of the boat/ship have something to do w/ this issue?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Steve-in-VA:

Got off topic here. Thoroughly involved with attorneys (as polite as I can say it, we do commercial development) who seem to do their best to paralyze us. Not implying a need, was surprised there's not a 10 page CYA clause somewhere. Refreshing. I hope your efforts are appreciated.

Alac
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thoroughly involved with attorneys (as polite as I can say it, we do commercial development) who seem to do their best to paralyze us

Alac
View Quote

My condolences.  I know how those "specialized" attorneys can be, 'AHEM-ASSHOLES!'  Criminal trial attorneys are a little more salty.  

No need for any CYA boilerplate language given the nature of this forum.  It's solely a discussion forum and not a "service rendered" outfit, either pro-bono or retained.  So, it's just a bunch of AR lovers shootin the shit.

Besides, all of my advice is unmitigated legal gospel and always right on. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Look guys, all I am saying is that I wouldn't do it for the reasons stated.  This came up on the Bowers board awhile ago.  The people or person in question wanted to meet in the middel of the atlantic with a ar-15 in one boat, m16 parts in another, and a pre '81 DIAS in a third boat, and wanted to know the leagal ramifacations of said excursion.  This is a different story of course as nothing ILLEAGAL is going on, per se.  I wouldn't give the people a reason to bust me on "International Gun Running" (Oh, I can see the headlines now).  I am not a laywer. I have no idea what I am talking about, look at my spelling and gramar if you need proof.  Just a different way to look at the situation, that is all.

KAC
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Mul: Dead on. If I wasnt clear, there is absolutely no inportation issue. Im sure thats poor consolation sitting in a Coast Guard brig. In the end would you prevail legally? I'd lay large money on it. Ill be blunt - piss poor time to test this hypthosis. Do it - just dont get caught - always the trick aint it.

Steve-In-VA; Thanks for the clarification. BTW, no knock on attys in general in my post above. You see, I think our attys are paid by the page. All your statements are absolutely dead on, as you claim.

Luck
Alac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top