Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 6:45:51 PM EDT
... I'll be flying into SeaTac next month. What exactly are the laws governing carry.

As far as I know, it's an "unconcealed - unloaded" state. Meaning I can drive around Seattle with my 1911 on the console as long as it's visible to the LEO & it's unloaded, right?

The loaded mag would be kept in my pocket.
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The WSP site says no:

All you need to know is located here at:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/rcw%20-%20text/title_09/chapter_041/

it is the RCW for weapons here in Washington State and loaded with good info not known to most CCW holders here in the state.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's an applicable quote,  direct from the text. In part:

"...(2) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:  (a) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
(b) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or
(c)the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle..."

Bottom line: w/o being a WA state resident, you cannot carry in your vehicle. [V]

I haven't found anything in (or outside of) MacRanger's link that states otherwise.

Also, I'm not sure about out-of-state CCW holders, but if memory serves me correctly, I believe WA state does NOT grant reciprocity. [:\]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/rcw%20-%20text/title_09/chapter_041/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
MB is correct.  WA is NOT a reciprocity state.  The bill to allow non-WA CCW holders to carry passed the state legislature but was vetoed by the governor.   The following election year the Republicans took a hammering in the state legislature and they haven't tried to pass it again since.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This may help out.  [url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=WA[/url]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
... Thanks for all the great input. I had a lot of time today to peruse and research the laws. In short, I've determined this:

[*]I can possess my 1911 in the vehicle as long as it's unloaded and it's closed opaque case.[/*]
[i]Which was my plan all along.[/i] (kinda like Kalifornia however the case must be locked there!)

[*]I can have a loaded magazine as long as it's not attached to the pistol.[/*]
[i]A loaded magazine in my pocket is legal[/i]

[*]Not going into any of the usual "forbidden places".[/*]
[i]Normal SOP[/i]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top