Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2001 8:08:26 PM EDT
If you have a pre-ban lower and even if it was never before assembled as a rifle how the hell would anyone be able to tell? if the lower was in circulation since before 94 how would anyone know it wasnt assembled as a 54 studdabaker before if you dont tell them?????????
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
From my understanding firearms manufacturers record their firearms the way dealers do (rifle, shotgun, and handgun). If you assemble a pistol on a rifle frame (what it sounds like you're aiming for) you are in violation of federal law. You can however (to the best of my knowlege) have your lower reclassified (I know this works for SBR). However I am not a lawyer and am only posting on my limited knowlege of gun laws, I would recommend contacting a branch office of the BATF to answer reclassification questions.

Jake
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's been in your possession the whole time, since before the 94 ban - you can pretty much say what you like, and the government can't disprove it.

If it's been through anyone else's hands in that period, especially on a dealer's or mfg's books, then it's very easy to prove what it WASN'T, if the ATF should come looking.  In particular, the ATF can find out if your stripped lower left "Joe's Gun Shop" as a stripped lower in 1998, and get a statement from Joe that it was never assembled before the ban.  If you can secure written proof of the weapon's status as a preban, you're in the clear.

But... you can't claim it was both a stripped lower until now (and hence, capable of being built into a pistol) AND a pre-ban rifle.  If it was a pre-ban pistol at some point, and you've got written proof that you don't mind standing behind in court, go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top