Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/20/2001 3:00:51 PM EDT
I have a quick question or two and I appreciate any help from ya'll. A friend who is also a retired LEO wants to sell his "as new, unfired" pre-ban Colt Car-15. It is verifiably pre-ban but it does have the restricted LEO stamp on it. My question is whether there's any legal reason he cannot transfer this rifle to me, a non-LEO? I think that as it is pre-ban, it is no different than any other pre-ban AR-15. One more thing...any thoughts on its value? Here are some details...16"bbl, flash hider, bayo lug, FT w/handle, 4pos. stock, unfired but no box, all factory ass. Colt. I'll know more tomorrow when I actually see it. TIA for your help, guys! Nut out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:44:36 PM EDT
Something's not adding up here... if it's truly a pre-ban, it wouldn't have the LEO stamp on it - that marking was not required until several months after the ban went into effect. If it's got a LEO restriction stamp on it, then it was made and shipped after the ban, or was reworked into a LEO-only config by a licensed manufacturer from a stripped lower after the ban (essentially remanufacturing it, and making it a restricted post-ban now). My questions to you would be how do you know it's verifiably pre-ban (letter from colt, receipt, what?), and if it's verifiable as a pre-ban, then how did it get post-ban SAW LEO markings on it? As for value, that'll depend on which model number it is and if it's not restricted. Somewhere between $1500 and $2200 for new, unfired with no box, depending on model. If it's a restricted LEO gun, then whatever a similar new LEO gun goes for today, less something for having no box.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:21:54 PM EDT
Circuits, I'm wondering the same thing about why the markings are on it if it is pre-ban. I intend to check the serial number tomorrow to try and verify its status. I wonder if some of the LEO rifles were marked prior to '94 simply because they were part of a LE contract? I don't know. My question is ASSUMING it is in fact verifiably pre-ban (and I assume it probably is because I know the seller well and he will not lie about it), are there any other issues I should be concerned about since it was obviously a LE gun? I really doubt it, but I thought I would ask since I know there are some very knowledgeable members on this board. One more thing. Could someone please give me a quick tutorial in the whole "large-pin, small pin" thing with regard to Colt's? I only have Bushies and I've never had to worry about that. What's the difference? Pros? Cons? Thanks again! 'Nut
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:37:28 PM EDT
Actually if IIRC it was the other way around. Postban LE SAW's were not being identifed as such for upwards of a year or so after the ban went into effect.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:26:48 PM EDT
According to the ATF web site (FAQ's), the requirement that restricted post-ban SAW's be so marked went into effect in 1995(May, 1995 I think). At any rate, I'm thinking the markings on the rifle in question (which is pre-ban) may be analogous to +P+ "LE only" ammo, which of course is legal for anybody to buy/own. But, I just don't know for sure...
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2001 7:22:03 AM EDT by rkbar15]
45nut: It could be although I never heard of it. It's not a SF/FA or SBR is it? Maybe the LE Agency added the markings. Post your question on the Colt forum. Maybe you'll get an answer there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:40:21 AM EDT
[b]Checked the serial no. with Colt's[/b] Unfortunately it IS a post-ban. DAMN! Just thought I'd let ya'll know.
Top Top