Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2001 8:34:05 AM EDT
I asked for a Bushmaster catalog and received it in the mail yesterday. As I was going through it about 1/2 way through there was a notice concerning automatic trigger parts for the AR-15. It stated that if you buy a AR-15 and happen to find that some or all of the trigger parts are from an automatic you should remove and destroy them and replace with the post ban parts. I can see complying with the law but not destroying parts that are definitely valuable on the market to class 3 holders. What do you think![:O]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#1]
There is an interpretation of NFA laws that says if you are in possession of the full auto parts and the gun they go into then you are in possession of a full auto gun.

Apparently there is a mysterious force that can pull these parts together and form a machine gun given close enough proximity.

I'm no full auto guy but that seems to be what folks say.  FWIW i've noticed the FAL crowd doesn't seem so concerned with it even tho i believe the parts kits they get have fullauto parts.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I have dealt with that situation before.  Had a set of parts that I bought from a police officer in another state, and used to make a mockup of the M16 works so an animator could render it in 3D.

At least around here (Occupied California Republic) there doesn't seem to be any market for previously owned M16 fire control parts or bolt carriers.  If you want to see what people look like with raised eyebrows, take a bag of M16 parts to a gun show in the OCR and try to unload them.  They'll treat you like a leper or some kind of freak.  Some of them look like they're about to throw holy water and cower behind a crucifix.  [%|]

Brand-new parts are very inexpensive and easily available to anyone who can produce a copy of a Form 4 or other proof of legitimate ownership.

The hammer and disconnector can be easily modified to semiauto-only configuration.  So can the bolt carrier (though not as easily).

See [url]http://old.ar15.com/docs/AR15-M16Parts/[/url] for more information.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You defiantly want to get rid of the M-16 parts.  By law you can own the M-16 parts or own and AR-15 but not both.  If caught, it is 10 year in jail and a $200,000.00 fine.  Not worth it.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top