Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2001 7:20:32 PM EDT
Quick question.....

What is required to transfer a rifle from a private party to myself?  My FFL buddy who I work with is out of town and I"m too damn impatient to wait for his reply!!  Specifically, does the party selling need a copy of my buddies FFL in order to ship the gun to him?  I know once the FFL holder has it, it's SOP, but am curious as to getting the gun TO HIM.

Geez, I read this 3 times and hope it makes sense!!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's coming from a private seller out of state, the seller has to verify somehow that your FFL buddy, the recipient, is in fact a licensee, before he can legally ship it.

If it's coming from an in-state source, it generally doesn't need to go through an FFL at all... You don't list your state of residence - that can make a difference for states like California.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Circuits,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, it is coming from out of state to my FFL holder.  What does the seller need to verify then?  He (the seller) mentioned a signed copy of my buddies FFL, but that doesn't seem right.  If I were the FFL, I wouldn't want my signed license to go to someone unknown.  My FFL holder has been at it for a long time, so I'm sure he'll know.  I just was trying to get things lined up.  He is doing me a favor....again!!

He just doesn't know it yet!!  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
An ink-signed copy of the recipient's FFL is only required if the sender is also an FFL.  The most common means of verification now would be to send the first 3 and last five digits to the sender, so he can verify the licensee's name and licensed premises address on the ATF's FFL EZ-Check page at their website.  Another way to accomplish that would be to black out all but the first 3 and last 5 digits on an unsigned copy of the license, and mail that to the sender.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys....

I'm just trying to get syuff lined up for my FFL when he gets back in town.  I've always done dealer/dealer stuff before.  I'll pass on the info.  Oh, one more thing:  Is my FFL then required to put it in his books?  Techically, the weapon was never his to sell.

Geez, why do they make this stuff so damn complicated?  Thanks again.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top