Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2001 7:54:52 PM EDT
Does any one have any thoughts on the specific words/statements that one should make immediately after defending oneself with deadly force? For example, let us say that I have used my weapon in my home and shot an intruder, what are the specific steps that one should take in the few minutes after the defensive shooting, presuming the bad guy is down and dead?
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Specific words....? This comes to mind---> __________    

NOTHING......NADA......SILENCO......

You have the right to remain silent, TAKE IT...ANYTHING you say will be twisted against ya.."KNOW YOUR ROLE, SHUT YOUR HOLE"......

CALL YOUR LAWYER.........PERIOD....

Any twisted words, have to be explained by a lawyer, so why not give him a BLANK sheet to defend...????
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
For the most part, SGB hit the nail on the head. Do not offer any information except that you were in fear for your or someone elses life. It might be less convincing if you wait till later to bring that up. Don't try to spit out a story that makes you sound good, facts may get messed up and that is the last thing you want because it sure doesn't help your cause. As long as you were in the right, you have nothing to worry about.
There is a time period after incidents such as that where ones head isn't quite screwed on tight, and during that time period is not the time to say the wrong thing.
Definitely do not try to alter the scene before the cops get there by trying to move the intruder or put a weapon in their hand. That is asking for big trouble. Because like I said, you should have nothing to worry about. Just sit tight and make sure your safe while you wait.

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
This may not work for everyone, but get yourself a microcassette or other small recording device. Keep it near your firearm, bedside table, sun visor, somewhere you can find it easily. Find one that can discretely record anything you say, and hope you are of the mind and physical ability during/after your encounter to use it. Do not turn it over to anyone. If you happen to record the confrontation, change to a fresh tape before law enforcement arrives and put it in a safe place. After you've made a copy of it, turn the copy in to the LEO's, give the other to your lawyer (or an additional copy). This may seem pretty far out there, but it might work for someone.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
as already stated SGB has the right idea.ebic some states require that you retreat from a intruder til you have no farther means of escape before you can shoot.as to the notion of having a tape recorder that you should grab and turn on.1) the only thing i'm grabing is my firearm.2)the only side of the story the law is going to hear is mine because the bad guy lying dead on the floor isn't talking.all a tape would do is come back an bite you on the ass.if it doesn't exsist then it can't.nixon learned that one the hard way.mmk
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't elaborate much, but SGB and TROY have about got it.  Say that and nothing more or you will bury yourself.  

A nice glass of shut the hell up would keep most law-abiding citizens from screwing themselves inadvertantly.  I realize you want to explain EVERYTHING, but wait until you have a GOOD attorney present.  There really are some of those out there, if you don't know one, keep quiet till you find one.  The cops understand.  Criminals have this down pat: they know when to shut their pie hole, b/c they got screwed before by blabbing/trying to explain.  No matter how innocent/true you explanation is it may be twisted by the perps. attorney later.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
just say -- he was trying to kill me, he was trying to kill, booo hooo weeep weeep WHERES MY LAWYER, he was trying to kill me
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
i would like to talk to my lawyer. if your lucky they will have you the 911 tape screaming at the badguy that u have a gun and for him to leave. (ie telling him everything he needed to now to stay alive)
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I would have to agree with the.....

I was afraid for my life / safety and / or the safety / life of my wife / kids.  I was scared I was going to die and not see my loved ones again.

I am a LEO and this is actually something that was told to us in Street Survival Seminar in Kansas City.  

Say something along those lines and shut the hell up!  I mean....if that is how you actually felt...

Use your rights, get a lawyer....being a LEO I would say that the more people talk the more trouble they get into....

The old saying goes....."he talked himself into going to jail!"
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
First of all make sure he is dead and all the way into your castle& he better be armed. Call the cops then your lawyer. Only one in a million would be prosecuted. Keep your cool and don't say a thing until legal rep is there. There is no way you would be charged when it is self defence in your home. Unless you live in the country of kalifornia.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys..Very good advice. I am sure, that the less I say, at that time, the better.

I was very much interested in what not to say and I think you answered that.

I was instructed by one individual, when the LEO's appear, raise your hands and say to them, Officer, I was the one that called.."
I believe every thing else was covered here very much.
I have a carry permit in PA, and I think about the senarios that can happen since I carry all the time. I have always been hesitant to carry but decided that it is best to carry all the time then not at all, or partially.

My biggest concern, after saving my life/family, if I am out on the streets or highway and I have to prepare to defend myself, is when to draw the weapon?
I believe that I will know when it is time. I give this alot of thought.
However, I believe it is better to survive, of course,  and deal with the two years of hell later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top